Chapter 74.2

Once Qi Yunruo was aware that Countess Ziyang had arrived, his mood worsened in a flash. Ever since Qi Niqun passed away, Countess Ziyang did not visit the estate anymore. But now that she had come, he had no choice but to welcome her.  

Qi Yunruo invited Countess Ziyang to Lakeside View House. He was in an even worse mood than when that group of court officials had come. He entered the room and saw Countess Ziyang's malicious gaze upon him. Qi Yunruo sat at the side.

"Truly someone who is to become the empress," Countess Ziyang said. "You see your legitimate mother yet don't say even a word."  

Impatient, he replied bluntly, "Mistress, stop beating around the bush."  

Gloomy and cold, Countess Ziyang said, "I will not allow you to become empress!"  

"You do not have the qualifications to say this. This is up to the emperor to decide."  

"Qi Yunruo! For the emperor to establish an empress is for him to marry a wife. Don't forget he needs the approval of the wife-to-be's parents first! Let me tell you this: Count Ziyang's estate will never agree!"   

"Do not forget," said Qi Yunruo, exhausted. "Mistress, ever since you sent me to Prince Chun's estate as a dowry escort, I have been moved to their household register, similar to a woman who was married. Once a woman is married, she belongs to her husband. After I left Count Ziyang's estate, I no longer need to listen to and obey you people."  

Countess Ziyang choked from his words, before grim laughter spilled from her lips. "But you killed the emperor's wife. So what qualifications do you have to replace Qun'er!"  

"I didn't kill her!"  

But she screamed, shrill to the ears, "If it weren't for you, how could Qun'er lack the emperor's favor?! How could she have gotten poisoned from taking medicine for birthing children? If it weren't for you, how could Qun'er have died from depression!"  

"...The emperor originally treated Princess Consort with deep respect, and did not treat her coldly because she gave birth to two daughters..."  

The gaze of Countess Ziyang proved dark and frigid. "I have already handed these petitions to Empress Dowager Zhou. Just wait until Her Majesty Empress Dowager Zhou deals with you!"  

Fear filled his heart. Empress Dowager Zhou. If she did anything, one would fear the emperor would find it very difficult to oppose her.  

Pleased with herself, Countess Ziyang said, "The empress dowager will not consent to your coronation. Qi Yunruo, even if the emperor is fond of you, so what?! For the rest of your life, your identity will not be fit for the public eye! This is what you owe Qun'er."  

Shifting his ice-cold gaze at her, he said, "Mistress, all of this is you and Princess Consort reaping what you sow. You were the ones who sent me to take care of the emperor's physical needs while Princess Consort was with child. Yet, you do not permit the emperor to like me? You blame me for everything. Don't tell me you are unaware that this is all your fault?"    

In a flash, Countess Ziyang's face turned deathly pale.

"You always blame other people. Blame my mother for Count Ziyang's estate losing its glory and splendor, blame me for Qi Niqun losing the emperor's favor. But if Count Ziyang's estate is supposed to remain unshakeable, if Count Ziyang kept his hands clean, if Princess Consort was truly virtuous, none of this would have happened! Mistress, even if you look for the empress dowager, it's useless. No one can stop the emperor from doing what he wants!"

Countess Ziyang's face darkened. She struggled to say, "Qun'er must be conferred the empress posthumously!"   

"Impossible. Princess Consort is not even the crown princess consort," Qi Yunruo said with indifference.