Chapter 76- The End (II)

On February sixth, Qi Yunruo roused at the fourth watch. Seven to eight servant girls approached and helped him put on a set of crimson ceremonial robes with golden embroidery. Drowsy-eyed, Qi Yunruo spread out his arms, allowing them freedom to work. Lulan carried to him a bowl of sticky rice balls containing meat. “Master, eat some of this. This slave has heard that your honored self will need to wait until the evening before eating more of anything.”  

Taking a seat, Qi Yunruo extended his feet for the servants to put on his boots. He opened his mouth. Ate a couple of those sticky rice balls. Then he shook his head to indicate he didn’t want any more.  

Today was the day he and Li Chen’s wedding would occur. Universal rejoicing as far as the eye could see. Everyone who appeared in front of him wore smiles, yet he was strangely distracted. This was… Today, he and the prince—no, the emperor—were getting married? 

His ceremonial robe took eighteen seamstresses one and a half months in a rush to make. It was complicated and graceful, yet when he stood up to examine it, he only found it very heavy. After he put on a nine-dragons and four phoenixes crown that had been altered for a man to wear, dawn had already arrived. The servant girls withdrew. Then the Minister of Rites came over and said, “Lord of the Rear, your honored self should leave now.”  

Qi Yunruo nodded. The main doors of Ink Lotus Courtyard opened. The male servants and servant girls all knelt down, crying out “Long live the empress.” To which Qi Yunruo waved. He stepped onto the red carpet, making his way along it one step at a time.  

Those of ancient times believed that the wife of an emperor must not be called a “wife,” as the character for “wife,” 妻, was homonymous with the character for “to be even with,” 齐. In this world, no one could stand on equal footing with the emperor. Thus, the addition of the character “后,” for “rear” or “behind,” to Qi Yunruo’s title. After he had been conferred the position of empress, Li Chen issued out an order to change Qi Yunruo’s address from “Niangniang” to “lord.” Li Chen’s imperial concubines remained in the crown prince estate, and other than the dowager consorts, there were no other masters in the palace that could use the address of “Niangniang.”  

Once Li Chen finished offering sacrifices to his ancestors, he made for the Palace of Merciful Peace to kowtow to the grand empress dowager. Today, Grand Empress Dowager Lan wore formal attire. After he rose back to his feet, she called him to her side for a seat. “I heard you will leave the palace and personally fetch your new spouse from the crown prince estate?”

Li Chen nodded.  

“Our Great State of Kang has never had an emperor who personally fetched his new spouse.”  

Smiling, Li Chen said, “Grandmother, just treat it as me really wanting to go.”  

A faint sigh escaped the grand empress dowager’s lips. Her expression proved complicated. “My grandson, I know you like him. In the past, I never expected you to do something emperors throughout all ages have never done before. I’ve thought about it already. After you bring Qi Yuze to the palace, I will cover for you.”  

“Grandmother,” said Li Chen in a serious manner. “For all of Little Qi’s life, he had never been able to walk with his head held high in public. Ever since he was born, he had never been openly recognized by anyone. I don’t want to wrong him anymore. In front of everyone in the world, I want to hand him everything he never had.”   

“Mm… Mm.” The grand empress dowager nodded, the look in her eyes gentle. “I understand. My grandson, don’t worry. Ai, just know that when you said you were going to fetch your spouse from the crown prince estate, I didn’t get a chance to react yet. How are you going to handle Count Ziyang’s estate?”