Chapter 71.1- Young Children

The previous night, Jing’er nervously made for Frost Autumn Courtyard. Consort Ji’s emotions were stirred as she kept calling for people to bring him things to eat and the clothes she had most recently sewn for him. Jing’er was very thankful as he looked at her. He told Shancha, the maid that accompanied him, to accept all the gifts.   

Still, in Jing’er’s heart swirled some ill feelings toward Consort Ji. The last time she had fiercely told him to stay away from Uncle Little Qi, it pierced his heart. Jing’er had just passed his sixth birthday. He was already at the age where he could distinguish between right and wrong.

Jing’er knew that by choosing to spend the night at Frost Autumn Courtyard,

Uncle Little Qi would be hurt. However, the faint yearning for his mother compelled him to go. He wished his mother not to appear like how she had the last time, but more gentle and soft. Good and kindhearted. That she would treat him well not because of the fame and profit, but because she sincerely cared for him.  

Yet, Consort Ji only felt that her long term and hidden desire, so hidden that she dared not think of it, had finally been achieved! The prince first became the crown prince, then finally became the Son of Heaven. Her son was the emperor’s eldest son, and the princess consort, an unlucky woman, died early… If her honor increased as her son’s position rose, in the future, she could become… become the most honorable woman in the world.

Consort Ji was afraid of having conflict with Jing’er again, and did not mention anything bad about Qi Yunruo. She understood that even if they weren’t related by blood, since they spent all day together and Qi Yunruo was accustomed to coaxing people, he and Jing’er would naturally be close. She sneered in her mind. However, his good days were coming to an end. In the future, he would no longer have a chance to be close to Jing’er. He would gradually disappear from Jing’er’s mind.  

In Consort Ji’s opinion, if her son and a male pet were close, it would undoubtedly be a black stain on her son’s reputation. Luckily, the second prince had also lived in Ink Lotus Courtyard for a long time. The basin of dirty water could also be splashed onto Consort Wei and her son. Thus, other people would not have the chance to use this reason to attack the emperor’s two sons.  

“…Consort-Mother, I’m full.” Jing’er smiled apologetically.  

Consort Ji realized that she had continuously fed Jing’er for a very long time. She smiled. “You’re still in your growth period, and need to eat a lot in order to grow taller.”  

Jing’er nodded.  

Consort Ji and Consort Wei’s recently built “friendship” had already fallen apart following Li Chen’s ascension to the throne. They both had sons, and were now each other’s enemy. Moreover, the hatred they shared currently was even deeper than the hatred they had shared back when they both lived in Frost Autumn Courtyard, in two little houses facing opposite of one another.  

In a careful manner, Consort Ji probed, “Jing’er, is Second Prince good at his studies in Ink Lotus Courtyard?”  

Jing’er replied, “Second Brother hasn’t started his studies yet.”  

She let out a breath of relief. Smiled. “I heard Second Prince only knows how to play all day. Since you two live together, does the noise bother your studies?”  

Jing’er furrowed his brows a hint. “Second Brother is lively, but Ink Lotus Courtyard is large. He listens to the wet nurses and older female servants, and does not disturb Son.”

With sincere and heartfelt wishes, Consort Ji said, “Jing’er, there are some things you will not understand. Other people won’t tell you, but I, your birth mother, will. I will help you understand. From now on, you must pull ahead of Second Prince in everything. So that he cannot overtake you.”