Chapter 28- Yushu Pass

Once Shangguan Ling had left the room, Li Chen took his seat by Qi Yunruo. He noticed that the youth’s expression was not good and stroked his cheek.

“Don’t be like this, Your Highness,” said Qi Yunruo.

Li Chen smiled. “Are you still angry?”

“No.”

Previously, Qi Yunruo’s face had been dark. After Li Chen had kicked that other young man out, Qi Yunruo’s expression relaxed a little. It brought a bit of joy to Li Chen’s heart. He did not continue that line of conversation.

Qi Yunruo asked, “Did your honored self come across trouble when trying to gather the military rations?” He had not been paying attention to Shangguan Ling and Li Chen’s conversation earlier. However, he had seen the looks on their faces, and assumed a problem had arisen on their mission.

“There’s no need to worry. I have a plan.” Right now, he wanted to know who this He Luo County magistrate belonged to. Wanted to know who gave him the courage to make trouble for Zhao Weidu. Or, perhaps the one they wanted to trouble was Prince Chun?    

After Li Chen had requested to make for the border, the empress also was privy to this fact. She even supplied him some men. Following that, Li Chen did not specifically tell anyone where he was headed, nor did he purposely hide this fact. Still, he did not openly and honestly showcase his status as a prince in the army.

The He Luo County Magistrate was surnamed He. Two years ago, he worked in the Ministry of Justice as a low-ranking clerk. After he had arrived at He Luo County, he received a decent evaluation. Li Chen did not pay attention to this person back then. Two years ago, the people that wanted the position of He Luo County Magistrate were the Zhou family, the Yuan Family, the people who belonged to Prince Jing, the people who belonged to Li Chen… and who else?  

In conclusion, controlling He Luo County was equivalent to controlling half of the military rations for the northwest border. 

…… 

After thinking over these matters, Li Chen felt relieved. Shangguan Ling should have already sent someone to explain things to Zhao Weidu. And Zhao Weidu had connections with people who naturally had methods in finding out who wanted to cause him trouble. If He Luo County’s magistrate spread news about what he had advised Zhao Weidu’s men to do, and Zhao Weidu actually followed the advice, Zhao Weidu would be finished.  

The room arranged by Xianya was of a decent quality. Large and bright. After Li Chen and Qi Yunruo bathed, they lay on the bed. Li Chen sighed deeply. “After this night, we will continue to sleep in the tent.”

Qi Yunruo smiled. “Actually, sleeping in the tent isn’t too bad. It isn’t as cold as before and I can sleep with peace of mind.”

Li Chen rubbed his belly. “Did you eat well today?” When he had first arrived at his room, Qi Yunruo and that young man were glaring daggers at one another. It didn’t seem like he had a good meal.

“I’m full. How about you? Was He Luo County’s mutton delicious?”  

Li Chen sighed. “I didn’t get to eat much of it. I wasn’t paying attention to the taste.” He narrowed his eyes. “That’s right, we need to take a lot of sheep with us when the time comes. On the road, we can roast lamb whole.”

A smile tugged on Qi Yunruo’s lips. He nodded. Li Chen saw that he had smiled until his eyes resembled crescents. Such a sight caused Li Chen’s heart to tremble. He leaned down to kiss Qi Yunruo, one hand slipping beneath his clothes.

The next day, Li Chen met with He Luo County’s magistrate once more, the latter’s expression appearing very natural. Then, without mincing his words, Li Chen said, “Our leading general loves the people like his own children. He has never encroached on the interests of the civilians in the slightest, nor have we ever taken their grain. Sir He, just say it directly. Apart from the grain meant for the next planting season, how much can He Luo County give us?”