Chapter 45.2

Once they were outside, Qi Yunruo realized this was an abandoned wing of the palace. There was no one around. It seemed Cheng Sijie did not want others to know he had deposed Feng Qiang, and as such imprisoned her here. Qi Yunruo watched as Feng Qiang followed along a small path out. He couldn’t help but ask, “Where are we going?”

Feng Qiang did not respond. From ahead, voices. Immediately, Feng Qiang hid. Qi Yunruo noticed she had to support her lower abdomen due to moving too quickly. 

The two hid behind an artificial mountain and watched as a group of guards patrolled the area. Once they were out of sight, Feng Qiang headed for the path they were on before. But the further they went, the more patrolling guards there were. Qi Yunruo wondered whether this increase in guards was because they had noticed his escape from the noise, or because they had discovered Feng Qiang was missing.  

All of a sudden, Feng Qiang said coldly, “Who are you? Why were you underground?”  

“Cheng Sijie captured me.”  

Feng Qiang arched a brow. “You’re from Great Kang?”  

Without hesitation, Qi Yunruo nodded. 

Feng Qiang led Qi Yunruo as they avoided the patrol guards, arriving at a small door at a side corner of the palace. There were only two people guarding it. They seemed to be of Han descent. However, Feng Qiang strutted as she passed by them. Qi Yunruo could only follow her. Expression gloomy, Feng Qiang said, “Where are our people?”  

“His Highness had prepared in advance. Today we absolutely had no opportunity to contact anyone.” The two gate guards had long since been bought by Feng Qiang, and were responsible for helping her escape.  

On the contrary, Feng Qiang released a breath of relief. If the people of her ethnicity did not enter the palace, then they still had a chance.  

One of the gate guards noticed Qi Yunruo and asked, “Who is this?”  

Not wanting to waste time, Feng Qiang said as she walked, “Someone captured by Cheng Sijie. He could be useful to us.”  

There was no one outside the small door. There was also no one to help them. Qi Yunruo followed Feng Qiang and asked, “Where do you want to go?”  

Feng Qiang was extremely familiar with this path. Bit by bit, unease filled Qi Yunruo’s heart. It seemed Feng Qiang wasn’t limited to hiding in the property of her family but had other safe houses as well. Throughout their short encounter, he learned that Feng Qiang was sensitive and mistrustful, not to mention selfish and callous. The road ahead was also dangerous.  

Qi Yunruo stopped in his tracks. Feng Qiang turned her head, staring at him indifferently.

“I saved you and you helped me escape,” he said. “We’re even, so why don’t we go our separate ways now?”  

“What kind of identity do you have?” asked Feng Qiang. “Why did Cheng Sijie kidnap you? And why were you underground?” Since she was also a smart person, she quickly understood. “Cheng Sijie had secret pathways installed in the palace? And the people chasing you were of the Qiang?”

Qi Yunruo did not answer her first question, but without the slightest hesitation, he sold Cheng Sijie out. “There are many secret pathways in the palace. King Cheng has the whole palace in the palm of his hand. Today, I prepared to escape, went the wrong way, and startled the Qiang envoys. Then they smashed the ground open and chased me.”

Feng Qiang’s expression was unsightly to the extreme. Cheng Sijie had probably been eavesdropping on Tan Qiao and her discussions from underneath the floorboards. No wonder he had not been one bit afraid. He had a way to escape.