Chapter 8- Radish Strips

Earlier, Countess Ziyang had trembled with both joy and worry regarding her daughter's pregnancy. As such, she seldom spoke at the start of the banquet. For the remainder of the year Qi Niqun would be barred from spending the night with Li Chen. What's worse, this mother and daughter pair had witnessed a most disgruntling scene: Li Chen had summoned Qi Yunruo to dine with his brothers and father. Watching as the group of males left for the lakeside pavilion, Countess Ziyang coldly said, "Who knew this cheap spawn had such good tricks under his sleeve?"

Qi Niqun rubbed her abdomen. She hesitated before saying, "In mother's opinion, should I fulfill His Highness' wish?"

"Darling Qun, for you to directly bring this up and for His Highness to bring this up are two entirely different scenarios. Now that you're with child, naturally you have some standing. That cheap spawn hid from you that His Highness liked him, so that he can suppress you and keep His Highness' affection. So that he can gain more and more of His Highness' heart. Daughter, you must suppress his nature. So that in the future, there will be no harm in sending him to His Highness. He won't spit on your grace."

A moment of thought. Then Qi Niqun said, "I'll put a good word to His Highness for that Concubine Ying and Tertiary Consort Li. Now that they are on my side, I should be receiving the benefits."

A smile graced Countess Ziyang's lips. "Naturally."

Once Li Chen and Qi Yunruo had arrived at Winter Plum Courtyard, Li Chen glanced at his companion. His thoughts wandered. He recalled the other's task of copying Buddhist scriptures. "Once the child is born, this courtyard won't be big enough to accommodate you," Li Chen couldn't help but say. "In a few days, I will find a suitable place for you to live."

Qi Yunruo nodded.

After that, two eunuchs brought Qi Yunruo through the doors of Winter Plum Courtyard, to his own little suite. Li Chen would later make his way back to his own residence.

But first, he wanted to pay his princess consort a visit.

A soft and warm smile had made its way across Qi Niqun's lips, fueled by her happiness in becoming a mother. She appeared kind and gentle as she personally poured a cup of sobering tea for Li Chen.

"The princess consort should quickly sit," Li Chen said. "Just leave this to the servants."

Qi Niqun said, "This concubine has heard that pregnant women cannot sit idly. The further it is into the pregnancy, the more exercise is required."

Li Chen smiled and spoke not a word.

"In these past few days, this concubine has noticed that Concubine Ying has a good character. With such a person caring person by His Highness' side, this concubine is relieved."

Originally, Li Chen had wanted to stay at Winter Plum Courtyard for a while to speak with Qi Niqun. This would be his first legitimate child, so he naturally hoped this child would be talented and healthy. And if that meant bettering the relationship with its mother, then so be it.

But as soon as he had heard those words, his mood took a turn for the worse. Li Chen didn't let it show on his face, however. He slowly said, "Ying Qiu is indeed good."

Qi Niqun did not hear the chill in his voice. A light sigh escaped her lips. "After this concubine brought Yan'er over to this courtyard, I realized that being a mother wasn't easy. Tertiary Consort Li sent over some handmade clothes. Truly a mother's heart."

Li Chen set down the tea cup. "It's late. The princess consort should rest early. This prince will return."

"This concubine will send off Your Highness," said Qi Niqun, quickly rising to her feet.