Chapter 9- A Hero and a Beauty

Lately, Consort Ji's movements were considerably at ease. Qi Niqun's fear, that during her pregnancy Consort Ji would snatch back the privilege of managing the estate, did not occur. Meanwhile Li Chen had continued to visit Consort Wei, causing the woman to burst with joy. It wasn't a secret that Consort Ji and Consort Wei, who lived near one another for many years, did not see eye to eye. If one received favor, the other would grit her teeth.

That said, Qi Niqun felt a bit dissatisfied. Lately, she had tried to find someone in her faction to replace her in nightly duties, but not once did Li Chen take any of them up on her offer. In fact, he sought out Consort Wei, someone she did not have a relationship with. But Qi Niqun was not in a rush. She planned to slowly pull Consort Wei to her side.

Consort Wei sent Qi Niqun a precious gift, a lily and jasmine scented calming incense, used to promote sleep. It carried a faint yet refreshing scent. Suitable to be placed in a pregnant woman's room. In the past, this had been part of Consort Wei's dowry. She herself only had two boxes.

Qi Niqun lit the incense. The next day, when Consort Wei came to pay a visit, she mentioned her experience with the gift. "It is indeed a good incense. These days, every other scent seems too vulgar. But once I inhale this incense, the discomfort disappears. Even His Highness has praised it."

Consort Wei smiled. "That Your Highness likes it is this concubine's fortune."

The smile on Consort Ji's lips, however, did not quite meet her eyes. "During this concubine's pregnancy, I sometimes could not detect scents. In the future, if Secondary Consort Wei becomes with child, she would understand the princess consort's suffering."

As Qi Niqun was with child, she hadn't the patience to deal with the other two's bickering. She quickly dismissed them.

Although she didn't feel well, constantly vomiting and unable to eat, her mood was often decent. That she didn't have to yield the right to manage the estate proved a large factor. She studied the map of the estate a few times. In the end, Qi Niqun was unsure where to move Qi Yunruo. The estate had two large empty courtyards. They were situated in a good location as well. One was near both the Ink Lotus Courtyard and the performance field. But she intended to leave this residence for her future son. The other courtyard was close to the lake, the scenery breathtaking. However, she also didn't wish for Qi Yunruo to live there. Although there were still three to four other vacant areas, some weren't renovated yet or had other issues that made them unsuitable.

What remained was a small courtyard. Unfortunately, it was close to Beautiful Forest, Ji Huan's temporary residence. Qi Niqun threw the map to the ground out of annoyance. After a sip of melon tea, she said, "Summon Qi Yunruo."

The moment he arrived, Qi Niqun laughed and dragged him to her side to sit. "Now that I am with child, I have many things to take care of. It's been a while since we've last met. Have you been well these past few days?"

"Yes. Nothing really happened."

Qi Niqun nodded. "I am trying to find you a suitable place to live. What do you prefer?"

As Qi Yunruo watched her, he said in a soft voice, "Your honored self can decide."

A light sigh escaped Qi Niqun's lips. "Third brother is blaming me for not taking care of you well enough. It's not easy being a daughter-in-law of the imperial family. This prince estate isn't as peaceful as it may seem. Everyone has their own desires. It's only third brother that is close to me. You are my most trusted person here."

Not a word left Qi Yunruo's lips.

Qi Niqun bitterly smiled and shook her head. She reached out to hold the other's hand. "I haven't asked you this before, but why does His Highness want you to move out? Is it because elder sister did not take care of you well? Or was it the people in this courtyard? Just let me know, and I'll take care of it for you."