Chapter 57.2

“…These are all the excuses you tell yourself because of your greed,” said Qi Yunruo in an unhurried pace.  

The full story finally unfolded before Qi Yunruo’s eyes. Many years ago, Zhiya House’s Shui Linglong perhaps had a purpose for approaching Count Ziyang, Qi Suxiao. The fact that he visited brothels during the period of mourning was merely the introduction to the story. The key bargaining chip of many generations of Count Ziyangs finally fell into the hands of Shui Linglong. As such, the emperor was able to remove the Qi family’s military power that easily, dividing the Qi army up and sending them to other places.    

Qi Yunruo recalled the scene right before his mother’s death. Recalled how, for so many years, Qi Suxiao did not care or ask about him. Ignored him. Allowed the people of the estate to bully him as they pleased. In the end, he had sent him away, and he was no longer someone who belonged to Count Ziyang’s estate.  

…However, Qi Yunruo felt that the situation should not be this simple.  

He once again looked at Countess Ziyang. Not knowing how his tone could be this calm, he said, “Mistress, do you think Count Ziyang knew about my mother’s purpose for approaching him?”  

Her whole body went rigid. Still looking at her, Qi Yunruo said, “Do you know who’s the person behind my mother?”  

Countess Ziyang slightly trembled. Puzzled, Qi Niqun shifted her gaze to her. Qi Yunruo had suddenly connected every thread. He did not believe that a woman’s action could truly confuse Qi Suxiao, someone who had inherited the will of many generations of Count Ziyangs. Even if the Qi family no longer had its military power, Qi Suxiao would still have gone to Qingzhi Lane. It’s just that after he visited too many times, he grew tired of Shui Linglong. Perhaps at that time, he at last started to hate her. For this reason, he did not appear even when she had fallen gravely ill. Rather, it was Shui Linglong’s beloved son who had stayed by her side.  

“My mother worked for the emperor…” Qi Yunruo was not sorrowful. He only sighed.    

This was the gamble between the imperial family and the Qi family. But in the end, it was only Shui Linglong who had met a dead end.  

In the end, Count Ziyang had never loved her, yet Shui Linglong had repeated the words “Qi Suxiao, you cheated me” until her last breath.  

Many years ago, Shui Linglong had received the emperor’s order in Zhiya House. She should have guarded her heart and kept cool-headed to complete her mission. Despite this, she had truly fallen in love with the young, elegant, and newly-appointed Count Ziyang. He was unable to be like his ancestors, guarding the border forever. During his youth, his most unforgettable memory had been guarding the border with his father. However, after General Qi, Qi Ran, had passed away, he realized he was unable to resist the imperial power. Therefore, he took advantage of the situation and accepted Shui Linglong.    

He did not block the information Shui Linglong sent out, which she had gotten from him. Ignored the imperial censors who impeached him, which gave the emperor a reason to act against him. Ignored the fact that Shui Linglong grew more and more infatuated with him.  

He was many degrees worse than Qi Yunruo had thought him to be. He allowed Shui Linglong to fall deeper and deeper in love with him, yet left her. He had Shui Linglong’s son come to the side of the emperor’s son in the most lowly identity, so that he could not bring about a change to his fortune his whole life. Qi Suxiao wanted the emperor to witness with his own eyes everything that happened.  

Qi Yunruo looked at Countess Ziyang. Asked, “Whose idea was it? You people deliberately sold off my mother’s servants, took all of my assets, and brought them all to Count Ziyang’s estate. Mistress, do you know that you people actually don’t have any grounds to seize my things?”