Chapter 48.2

Li Yao asked Li Chen, “I didn’t mention the peace talks yesterday, but how are things going with Bo Ge?”  

Li Chen suppressed a smile. “Bo Ge agreed to be the leader of the vassal state to Great Kang, and also agreed to give the Western Owl and Seeking Eye tribes and their land to Suzhou.”

Li Yao nodded, though her expression contained worry. “The Western Owl and Seeking Eye tribes are of no use to Bo Ge or our Great State of Kang.”  

“From now on, those tribes must change their leaders. We must suppress the militant clans and lift the many clans that follow the Golden Mean of Confucianism. Then we must send officials from Great Kang to supervise them,” said Li Chen, expression solemn. “In turbulent times, severe punishments are to be used. If they disobey, kill them. Kill every person who disobeys, every family that disobeys, every clan that disobeys.”  

Slowly, Li Yao nodded.  

Wang’er had shut the door long ago and was keeping guard outside. Indifference peppering her words, Li Yao said, “Bo Ge is certainly fond of the culture of the Han. In the future, when he becomes a subject of Imperial Father, let’s have Imperial Father bestow him the four arts cotton, and silk.”  Li Yao swept her gaze through the surrounding decorations. “Furthermore, Bo Ge intends to copy the Han in constructing a palace. I approve of this. Let’s have Imperial Father dispatch an artisan here. Following that, the Qiang nobles will fall over each other in eagerness to imitate it. In less than ten years, in the royal capital of the Qiang, the customs of the Han will stretch as far as the eye can see.”   

However, there was a trace of distress on Li Chen’s countenance. “Eldest Sister, you really won’t return with me?”  

Qi Yunruo’s heart trembled.  

Nevertheless, Li Yao shook her head. She reached out to hold Li Chen’s hand. A smile blossomed on her lips. “Elder Sister will stay here to watch over the Qiang for you. I’ll return one day, won’t I? Never have I doubted Brother Chen… One day, personally issue a decree to summon me back to the capital and visit Grandmother and the other close relatives. At that time, I will return in an honorable manner, sitting in a carriage with four horses with a retinue of a hundred or so members, with the appreciation and honor of the Qiang, with your meritorious achievements… Tell Elder Sister that such a day will come.” 

Qi Yunruo’s heart shook, as if a powerful earthquake had affected it. He glanced sideways at Li Chen. A light flashed in Li Chen’s eyes. He trembled. “I promise you, Eldest Sister, that such a day will arrive. Moreover, it will be very soon… I will personally escort you home.”

Smiling, Li Yao nodded.  

All of a sudden, Qi Yunruo heard Wang’er say with much impatience, “What are you doing? Princess is in the middle of conversation with His Highness! What business do you have being here?!” 

In an instant, Li Chen’s expression chilled.

Following that, a woman said loathingly, “I’m a citizen of the Great State of Kang. Am I not allowed to pay respects to His Highness?”  

“What are you even—”  

Li Yao lightly said, “Wang’er, let her in.”  

Winning the battle, Qin’er flung her sleeves and entered the room with her head held high. At first, Qi Yunruo wanted to stand, but Li Yao brought a hand to his arm to keep him sitting. Once Qin’er had entered the room, and saw that Qi Yunruo was also seated, she curtsied to Li Yao in an unwilling manner. Then she also saluted to Li Chen. “This concubine greets Your Highness.”