46.2

For a moment, Zhou Liang was unsure whether he or Shui Ruo was more pitiful. After a few more sobs, he stopped crying. But once the three of them had revealed their pitiful stories, one after the other, the rest of the children mentioned how they had been sold. Some of their parents were gamblers that could not pay off their debts. Some of them had been sold by their relatives…

There was a poem from ancient times that read, “a glance gives pain. Now that you have left, do not look back.” No one had sent off these children. They could only find company with each other, miserable as they were.

Qi Yunruo raised his own spirits and said, “Don’t worry! I heard that Princess Changping of the Great State of Kang is a rare compassionate person. Tender, virtuous, and  good-natured. We are here to attend to the princess.  At that time, we would pass our days together in happiness.”  

“Really?” asked Zhou Liang. 

Qi Yunruo said, “Yes.” The Prince’s elder sister would definitely be the most gentle, kind hearted, and best master in the world. She would treat these pitiful boys and girls well.  

The night before they reached the royal capital of the Qiang, Qi Yunruo couldn’t catch a wink of sleep. His heart pounded chaotically in his chest. Was His Highness in the royal capital right now? Had he seen his elder sister yet? How was he currently?    

Rolling over, he thought, how is Brother Ji doing at Xinyuan Country right now? Did he mention getting rid of all their spies in our country? What about Cheng Sijie? Did he find Feng Qiang yet? Did he act against the Feng family yet?  

They spent the night in the open. As Qi Yunruo left the carriage, Mo She coldly said, “Where are you going?”  

Qi Yunruo was startled. A while later, he said, “I’m not trying to escape. I just want to take a stroll.”  

Mo She watched Qi Yunruo attentively for a while. Then he beckoned. “Come here.”  

For a moment, Qi Yunruo hesitated. Then he went over to him. From the start, Mo She had found it fishy. Qi Yunruo’s appearance, the patrol guards on the road. Mo She had been watching his slaves the whole trip. When those soldiers had acted, Qi Yunruo seemed too nervous. He had then realized that Qi Yunruo’s identity wasn’t as simple as the youth had claimed.  

“Are you truly an accountant for the Feng family?”  

The night air swept by. Qi Yunruo frowned, staring at Mo She without a word.  

Mo She laughed in a grim manner. “The Feng family only uses people of the Qi ethnicity. I didn’t realize this before, but you’re obviously a Han person from just a glance. How could you be someone from the Feng family?”  

Qi Yunruo said, “We’ve already gotten to this point. Do you still want to tie me up and send me to prison?”  

“I only want to know who you are.”  

Qi Yunruo didn’t answer his question. Rather, he said, “Boss Mo She, I think you should be aware of something. King Cheng truly will act against the Feng family. From then on, the status of you Qi people will suffer a sudden, devastating decline. It could never compare to how it was in the past. Cheng Sijie should be the common enemy of you Qi people. And I am also an enemy of Cheng Sijie. Isn’t this enough?”  

Mo She fell silent for a long time. Then, slowly, he nodded.  

A wave of relief washed through Qi Yunruo. Mo She said, “You can leave.”  

Qi Yunruo shook his head. “I’ve already sold myself to you.”  

Mo She harrumphed. “I didn’t give you any money. You didn’t even sign your self-selling contract, even if I spent money to bring you out of the country. Your presence here will only give me trouble.”