Chapter 60.1- Courtyard

Ji Hansong said, “Sir Father-in-law, Sir Qi had once assisted His Highness Prince Chun greatly in a military campaign.”  

Great Scholar Wen angrily threw his sleeve, gaze filled with hatred. The people who had come with him were the same. For a moment, the atmosphere at the main table was very awkward. Ji Hansong didn’t dare to offend the people of Prince Chun’s estate, but he was unable to advise his respected teacher and father-in-law from doing so. He could only look at his eldest son, embarrassed. “How about we set up a new table at the reception pavilion for Sir Qi?”  

“No!” said Ji Huan.  

Looking at Great Scholar Wen, Qi Yunruo said, “What about this humble official dissatisfies Sir Wen?” If he really moved to the reception pavilion, wouldn’t it mean he was afraid of this old man? Then what would happen to the reputation of His Highness Prince Chun and the prince estate? He frowned. “Daring to ask how this subordinate offended your honored self?”  

Great Scholar Wen snorted coldly. “The so-called those of conflicting views cannot get along. Daring to ask this sir what year were you promoted? Are you a juren or a jinshi? Or are you a shujishi?”  

Ji Huan’s face grew ashen. But because of filial piety, he could not speak. Under the table, Qi Yunruo squeezed his hand consolingly, causing Ji Huan’s complexion to grow a bit better. Qi Yunruo said, “If this humble official has remembered correctly, a few months ago your honored self accused Prince Chun of misconduct.”  

With an arrogant expression, Great Scholar Wen said as he looked at Qi Yunruo, “Although Prince Chun and this old man’s son-in-law are in-laws, this old man cannot watch as Prince Chun breaks the rules. This old man censured Prince Chun because of you. If it wasn’t for you, a crafty sycophant, his meritorious contribution would definitely be greater.”

Already placed in the category of a “crafty sycophant,” Qi Yunruo kept calm. He looked all around. Noticed people who, like Great Scolar Wen, looked at him as if he was their enemy. There were also people who, perhaps fearful of the power and prestige of Prince Chun’s estate, didn’t look at him. He said dully, “Did Great Scholar Wen see such things with your own eyes?”  

Great Scholar Wen was startled. Then he said, “Everyone knows…”  

Ice-cold, Qi Yunruo said, “If that’s the case, the Great Scholar Wen is merely following the herd, a monkey wearing a hat. Since you weren’t there to see it, yet merely stare on as people denounce Prince Chun and hit him when he’s down… this humble official won’t mention Prince Chun contributions, and will only speak of myself. This humble official had once personally entered an enemy camp, been to Yanluo Valley in the northwest, and encountered danger at the Yun river. This humble official slayed two Qiang warriors, and one of them was a Western Owl Yaksha. Afterward, in Xinyuan Country, this humble official was captured by King Cheng. Later on, this humble official wandered into the royal capital of the Qiang and personally met Princess Changping… In Sir’s opinion, do these contributions seem enough?”  

Ji Huang lowered his head, light laughter spilling from his lips. Great Scholar Wen was so angry that even his beard trembled. A good while later, he said, “This… this… this! What evidence do you have?”  

Qi Yunruo said, “What evidence did you have when you censured His Highness?”  

Then, Qi Yunruo slowly rose to his feet. “Your honored self disdains to be in my company. What a happy coincidence that this humble official also is unwilling to sit at the same table as Great Scholar Wen? Sir Ji, weren’t you going to set up a table for me in the reception pavilion? Please lead the way.” To be driven out of the room for no reason and to leave after winning a battle of words stood as two different situations. Watching as Great Scholar Wen was angered to the point of flushing red, choked up in his heart yet unable to utter a retort, Qi Yunruo did not appear the least bit ashamed. And he gave him one more arrogant glance before leaving.