Chapter 58.1- Purple Chinese Peony

Prince Chun’s estate.  

Li Chen pulled Qi Yunruo down to sit. Then he shifted his gaze to Qi Niqun. “Who does Princess Consort want to seize? What would you do after that?”  

Nervous, Countess Ziyang looked at her daughter.

“Mistress Qi, Count Ziyang might be worried that you’ve been gone for so long,” said Li Chen with indifference.  

But she didn’t want to leave. Forced a smile. “It’s just a bit of family matters. We’ve let Your Highness witness a joke.”  

Cold sweat dripped from Qi Niqun’s body. Her voice trembled as she said, “Your Highness must understand. If the dowry of your main consort encounters problems in such a way, people wouldn’t just mock me. They would also mock your honored self! The entire Prince Chun’s estate would be disgraced.”    

“Your Highness must understand,” said Countess Ziyang after a nod. “At present, there are countless people in the capital discussing your honored self. They said you harmed important ministers, that you robbed others of their military accomplishments. And the former rumors, about you bringing a male pet to the battlefield, have resurfaced. Now, your honored self wants to give Qun’er’s dowry to this male pet—”  

“Mistress Qi,” said Li Chen, looking at her. “Are you threatening this prince?”  

It seemed as though Countess Ziyang choked. In a flash, she lost the words she had wanted to say.  

But Qi Niqun was different, screaming, “Your Highness, could it be that you truly don’t fear being ridiculed?”  

“As long as this prince is unwilling for it to happen, no one would comment on the personal affairs of Prince Chun’s estate. However, if this prince cannot even ask for Princess Consort to return the belongings of the person I love, then what’s the use of a First-Ranked prince like me?!”

Countess Ziyang’s face grew ashen. She had hidden this visit to the prince estate from the count. Yesterday, after they had received the letter, Count Ziyang shut himself up in his room. He didn’t even eat his meal. But she couldn’t sit still, and rushed to find Qi Niqun. She had intended to use her identity, that of his legitimate mother, to force Qi Yunruo to let go of this matter. Who would have thought Qi Yunruo had such a sharp mouth and that the prince would stand on his side?  

But Qi Niqun attempted her last bit of struggle, forcing a smile as she said, “Your Highness, we as a married couple share weal and woe. Why must you for the sake of this—”   

“Princess Consort, watch your tongue.”

In a flash, Qi Niqun was rendered speechless. Li Chen rose to his feet. Patted Qi Yunruo. Qi Yunruo also stood and followed him by his side.

Li Chen said, “Princess Consort, the situation at the prince estate has been urgent recently. If it’s unnecessary, don’t keep guests for too long.”  

In the long watery corridor, there were only the two of them. Qi Yunruo had moved to walk behind Li Chen, head lowered, when Li Chen stopped in his steps, causing Qi Yunruo to crash into him.    

A sigh escaped Li Chen’s lips. “Little Qi, what are you thinking?”  

“Your Highness… I’m worried. The way you were just now, if Count Ziyang’s estate…” Qi Yunruo touched his forehead.  

He was full of worry. But Li Chen only grunted, turned around, and continued forward.

The lake water lapped at the base of the wooden corridors, giving rise to a melodious sound. His footsteps were hidden in the sound of flowing water. From afar, Qi Yunruo noticed that Lakeside View House was still under construction for its extension. The laborers carried logs inside. He recalled that back in Count Ziyang’s estate, the Labor Department from the Ministry of Rites had carved and engraved a meal box for Qi Niqun’s dowry. That meal box had been engraved with the most exquisite of pot marigolds.