Chapter 4- Osmanthus Fragrance

On her third day of marriage, Qi Niqun returned to her paternal family's estate, Liubai and her other dowry maidservants following along. As Liusu learned of this, a bit of envy sparked in the pit of her heart.

Qi Yunruo had stayed behind, coincidentally receiving an invitation from Ji Huan in the forecourt. His eyes shined with excitement as he studied it. And it caused him to miss Liusu's piercing gaze.

The premise of the invitation was as followed: to admire a painting with Ji Huan. Noticing her master's unbottled excitement, Liusu went for a few words of caution. "Wait until eldest miss returns and ask her what she thinks."

"Why?"

Her lips twisted into a frown. "Are you still unable to see it? We don't have a good relationship with that Secondary Consort Ji and Ji Huan is her elder brother. Naturally, he won't have any good intentions toward you either."

"Not necessarily. Young Master Ji's calligraphy is beautiful, so he must be a decent person."

Liusu had the impression she had been rolling her eyes too often recently. Before she could respond, Qi Yunruo had already asked her for a set of clothes fit for the outside.

Because of the hot water incident, Liusu still held disgust toward Eunuch Yunbao. This time, since it would be her master leaving the suite, she had to choose a respectful servant as an escort. Liusu searched for Eunuch Jixiang to tell him the situation. He appeared decent enough as a person.

As soon as Liusu finished speaking, Eunuch Jixiang summoned a low-ranking eunuch called Xiao Lizi to escort Qi Yunruo.

Since entering the Winter Plum Courtyard, this was Qi Yunruo's first time going outside. The prince estate was large, the inner courtyard consisting of only one third the entire space. A river separated it from the forecourt, and a large drill hall sat in the latter.

Ji Huan lived alone in the guest quarters. Qi Yunruo glanced at the sign hanging above the main doors, which read "Beautiful Forest." Not long after, a low-ranked male servant pushed the doors open and paid respects to him. "Our master is awaiting you."

Once Qi Yunruo stepped foot within, he observed the courtyard with wide eyes. Although it wasn't as large as his sister's, that its master took extreme care of it was apparent. There were even grape vines hanging over carefully placed scaffolding. Under such scaffolding sat a rocking chair.

A tall man watched Qi Yunruo from afar. He waved his hand, beckoning the younger male over. Qi Yunruo observed the man's smile. All of a sudden, he felt slightly happy.

Ji Huan was twenty-two this year. Unlike his younger legitimate sister's famous good looks, his brand of beauty was more elegant. More refined. His eyes were narrow yet watched others with a gentle gaze.

As Qi Yunruo approached him, he felt slightly awkward. Ji Huan wore the attire of a literati, and like himself, did not have his hair up in a crown. Instead, his hair was tied low, the hairband a light shade of lilac. As if it were only natural, Ji Huan grabbed Qi Yunruo's hand, leading his guest into the house. He personally poured the tea.

"In these past few days at the prince estate, have you come across anything you're not familiar with?" said Ji Huan soft and gently.

Qi Yunruo blinked. Cautiously, he said, "I've had no issues. Thank you, older brother Ji, for inviting me."

"'Older brother?' That's great. I don't have such an obedient and sensible younger brother like you." Ji Huan gestured for Qi Yunruo to come closer. His main purpose of today was not to admire paintings with a partner. Rather, he was curious about the person that Count Ziyang's estate had sent. Was this an enemy or someone who could become a friend? He simply needed to observe Qi Yunruo longer in order to find out. But the more he looked at Qi Yunruo, the more he felt that further consideration was needed.