Chapter 43- Situations Like So

Shangguan Yao said, “Sir Yuan, Sir Ji, when it’s all said and done, we are subjects. We have no authority to decide such important matters for the king.” He turned to Tan Qiao. “Sir Prime Minister, the way this humble official sees it, it’s better for Sir to ask for His Highness’ opinion first. In all likelihood, His Highness’ condition should have started to recover. Otherwise, how could he be intimate with Her Highness, so that she could prepare to give birth to a child for this country?”  

Once his words had left his lips, the hall fell in a state of uproar. The high-ranking ministers of Xinyuan Country all shared a look. Then, they could not help but whisper among themselves. Especially those officials who were of Han descent. They couldn’t understand why their king once again became close with Her Highness. Hadn’t Feng Qiang almost been deposed? If His Highness actually started to recover, why hadn’t he made an appearance?  

The expressions of the Qi subjects also weren’t good. In an instant, cold sweat appeared all over Tan Qiao’s body. How would Shangguan Yao know about Feng Qiang’s situation?! Did he place some spies in the palace?! Did he know that Feng Qiang and himself had committed adultery?  

The gazes of Yuan Rong and Ji Huan met. They were able to discern some abnormalities from the expressions of the Xinyuan Country subjects.    

Tan Qiao hastily said, “May the two envoys temporarily return to the consulate. This humble official will report to His Highness then give a response.”  

Yuan Rong slowly nodded. Apathetic, he said, “Since the king of your distinguished country has started to recover, yet is unwilling to meet with us, is it because he looks down on our position? Or is it that he is discontent with Great Kang…? Hopefully Sir Prime Minister will quickly give us a response on our discussion prior.”  

Wearing a smile, Tan Qiao sent them off. Under the gazes of the many different subjects, he calmly said, “The condition of His Highness has in fact started to recover. I will go visit and ask for instructions.” He and Feng Qiang had planned to reveal the news of her pregnancy during an appropriate time. But there was no way he could refute Shangguan Yao’s words right now.  

A Han official said in a peculiar way, “Minister Tan, just what is going on? During the period in which His Highness was previously injured, you actually summoned Mistress Feng to take care of him? What are you planning?” He thought that if the king truly started to become intimate with Feng Qiang, perhaps she had taken care of him when he was ill and moved him greatly. But could Feng Qiang truly change her personality? How could that be possible?

Tan Qiao’s face darkened. Not a word escaped his lips. But a Qi subject turned to the previous Han subject and said, “Are you unsatisfied with His Highness’ arrangements? When can you decide on His Highness’ family matters?!”  

The Han subject from before took his time saying, “If an ordinary woman of Han descent became the queen, it would be His Highness’ family matters. However, if it were a woman of your Qi ethnic group, then this is the affair of our Xinyuan Country.”  

That Qi subject was so angry that it seemed he wanted to brawl. Shangguan Yao glanced serenely at Tan Qiao. And then smiled. “In any case, His Highness will make an appearance soon. If anyone has any questions, you can directly ask His Highness!”  

Another Han subject sighed with emotion. “Speaking of which, this humble official has not seen His Highness for a long time. In the future, His Highness should stay in the country for long periods. Then we can be at ease.” Today they had experienced the coercion of the Great State of Kang, and it was not a good feeling. Long ago, when they had taken the initiative to dispatch an army, it was precisely because His Highness spoke of their pitiful circumstances that the envoys of Great Kang were struck speechless. When they compared the two situations, Tan Qiao truly was incompetent.