Chapter 24- The Western Mountain Camp

Qi Yunruo stood there, dumbfounded. All of a sudden, he was ecstatic, pure joy pumping from his heart, coursing through his veins. Yet, he also felt it was too good to be true. As if he were walking in a dream.

Lulan and Yuzhi each carried a package, the former saying, “Has your honored self eaten yet?”  

Qi Yunruo nodded without a word.

A smile graced Lulan’s lips. “This slave will then send these things off first. May your honored self help yourself to some snacks.”

“…Alright.”

As Qi Yunruo stepped foot deeper into the house, Liusu, with her face slightly pale, asked, “Why are you accompanying His Highness to the border? Why haven’t I heard about this before?”

Not catching clearly what she had said, Qi Yunruo had yet to blink once he sat down.

“…Does eldest miss know about this?” Liusu frowned, feeling awkward.

Qi Yunruo turned to glance at her. That one look sent waves of tremors through her body. However, she still opened her mouth and said, “Does eldest miss know about this matter? So you’re sneaking off with His Highness without letting eldest miss know? How do you expect eldest miss to be able to control the inner courtyard from now on?!”

Lowering his gaze, Qi Yunruo entered his thoughts. Qi Niqun was definitely unaware of this. Could it be because of what had transpired this morning that the prince wanted Qi Yunruo to accompany him to the border?  

Liusu was already aware that Winter Plum Courtyard did not trust her. Thus, she wanted to maintain a sturdy position at Lakeside View House, but Lulan and Yuzhi did not give her the opportunity. Lulan had been clued in long ago to such a huge development. However, it was hidden from Liusu, making her seem like a fool. Liusu was uncertain as to why she felt so angry toward Qi Yunruo.  Hadn’t he been doing well when he had lived in the two-house suite back at Winter Plum Courtyard? No one bothered him or gossiped about him back then. So why did he have to seduce the prince? Why did he have to do such things and cause eldest miss unhappiness? Eldest miss was the princess consort!

Despite her inner tirade, Qi Yunruo did not bother with Liusu. He ate two pieces of desserts, not noticing the flavor, before returning to his room to rest.  

Liusu followed him there. But once she saw his appearance, she could not utter a word.

“Young Master! Young Master!” Xiao Shan sprinted over, breaking the tense silence. In such cold weather, she was actually sweaty from head to toe. “Her Highness, the princess consort, has summoned you over.”  

In that instant Liusu paled. She looked at Qi Yunruo, drawing her brows together anxiously. 

He rose to his feet and slipped on his shoes. Xiao Shan softly said, “It’s Winter Plum Courtyard’s Eunuch Yunbao that’s waiting outside. Just one look and it’s clear this won’t be good.”  

Yunbao was the steward eunuch of Winter Plum Courtyard whom Qi Yunruo had punished to the paddle.

Once he saw Qi Yunruo leave the comfort of his chambers, he said enigmatically, “Young Master Qi, Her Highness, the princess consort, has summoned you.”

Qi Yunruo nodded. As Liusu rushed forward, Yunbao lightly waved his fly-whisk. A stare, and he said, “Her Highness, the princess consort, has said for only Young Master Qi to come.”  

Liusu sent a look of worry Qi Yunruo’s way, but he only said, “Let’s go.”  

Yunbao went on ahead, his pace slow, as if he wanted to draw out this trip. Meanwhile, Qi Yunruo’s thoughts grew more and more chaotic. By the time they had arrived at Winter Plum Courtyard, he still did not possess clarity of thought.