Chapter Thirty-One.

I don't know how I got home or how I climbed up the stairs to my room. But I do know one thing, there's a man outside my bedroom, who's low-key begging me to come out and talk to him.

"For the last time Marilyn, come out. Let's talk about it." He says again, I roll my eyes and stand up from the floor.

I walk toward the door and lean my back against it.

"You'll never see my face again. I'll stay in this room forever." I yell, so he could hear me well enough. I hear him sigh from the other end. I should be the one sighing, I should be the one contemplating my life choices.

I married a normal man. That was what I thought anyway.

But he turns out to be what?

A Mafia boss? Was I dumb to think that the mafia no longer existed? I've literally been living with one and...

This makes me angry.

"Marilyn. Just come out, please." He knocks on the door twice.

"No, let me die here. You can cry at my funeral so that the others would think you loved your wife, and feel sorry for you, that way your sales will increase. I'll do your business a favor by dying."

I don't even know what I'm staying but I have to keep talking to him to escape. Yes, I'm planning to escape. From that big-ass glass window in front of me. I'll jump out of it and escape. 

And never see his face again. Only the thought of it is making me cry but I don't want to live with him anymore.

I just don't. I wanted a normal life with a normal person and this... This isn't what you call normal.

Which reminds me, I have a bone to pick with Mr. Hayes. He knew full well what his grandson was up to and still, he got us married. 

"You do realize that I'm only trying to respect your boundaries, right? Because if you don't open the door in the next ten seconds I'm going to unlock it myself with the master key that I have in my hand right now."

Oh shit. That means I only have ten seconds to jump out of that window. I'll probably get injured, or maybe I will die. But I have to do this.

I rush towards the window as he starts the countdown. I turn to look at the room, as my eyes fill with tears. Whatever the situation, this room has been my safe place for the last few months. I'll definitely miss it when I'll be sleeping under a bridge.

"Three... Two...,"

I panic as I realize the ten seconds are almost over. I try to open the window and that's when I realize...

"It's locked, Honey." My breath hitches as I hear him enter the room behind me. He keeps on walking toward me until he's right behind me.

"Don't even bother thinking about escaping. I can still kill you, you know that right?" His voice sends chills down my spine and I turn to face him.

"You can't," I say, he raises his eyebrows.

"I can't what?" 

"You can't kill me. Mafias don't kill families, they protect them." He smirks at this and pulls me towards him.

"And that's why I want you to talk to me about it." He says, his tone suddenly, as soft as silk. This man never fails to amaze me. The softness in his voice and his eyes are melting me. They are forcing me to love him.

"Talk about what? That you're a mafia? You don't have any idea how this is going to affect our lives, right?" I ask him. He shakes his head at this.

"I know, I know how this can affect us and that's why I want you to stay away from these matters. You wanted to know what I was up to, now I told you everything I could. We're not going to talk about this again." He leaves my hands and takes a step away from me.

"Don't wait for me on dinner, I'll be late." With that, he turns and leaves the room.

I walk towards our bed and sit down. I have to think about how I'm going to live from now on. 

And how I'm going to escape from here. Because whatever Aiden says, I'm not going to live with him. I can't. I'll have to walk on eggshells around him. And what if something happens to me? He said that I might get into danger or something. I super don't want to die this young.

But my heart, my heart is trying to betray me. It's trying to stop me from taking this huge step. Why did I have to fall in love with him when all he did was to treat me like shit all this time? He changed his behavior just a few weeks ago, It should be easy for me to leave him and then he can go ahead and marry a mafia queen or someone who's willing to die for him.

Because I'm not willing to do anything of that sort.

I lie down on the bed and close my eyes, before I know it I gradually fall into a deep sleep.

It isn't until 8 p.m in the evening when a knock on my bedroom door wakes me up.

"Come in!" I shout thinking it must be Tessa. 

I close my eyes again as the door opens.

"I'm not hungry right now, Tessa. I just want to sleep a bit more, okay?" I hear footsteps approaching the bed.

But these footsteps... don't quite seem like a woman's. I shoot open my eyes only to meet those eyes.

Those eyes. Those hideous eyes.

"Go ahead. Scream. No one's going to hear you anyways." He says with a nasty smirk on his face.

I get out of bed and pick up my phone. His eyes travel from me to my hand which is holding my phone.

"Go ahead, try and call someone. Let's see who's going to come because your husband sure won't be able to." 

A smile forms on my lips, now that I think about it having a mafia as a husband isn't half as bad as I thought it was.

"And why wouldn't he be able to?" I ask him, strangely I don't feel a bit scared, maybe because I'm the wife of a mafia boss.

That's kind of hot though if I really think about it with a cool mind.

"Maybe because my men just killed him in his office."

A loud sound indicates that my phone has hit the floor. A sharp pain shoots in the left side of my head that nearly knocks me off my feet. The pain seems unbearable. 

"You're lying, you bastard!" I shout, trying hard not to let him notice that I'm in pain.

He takes a step toward me and grabs my wrist.

Looking down at me with those hideous eyes of his, he only says one thing before I feel a sharp thing pierce the skin on the side of my neck.

"Oh babe, I wish I was."