Chapter Fifty-two

I should've known.

She got this curious nature of hers from her dad. I see why Grandpa was hinting at finishing her off if she got too curious.

There's one thing she should never find out and that means she should never know who I am, or what I do.

But I guess it's going to be a problem keeping everything from her.

I massage my temples trying to think everything through. She lives in this house, I live in this house. We can't avoid the inevitable. She'll know one day and then she'll leave me.

And get killed.

This shouldn't worry me too much. I know, I feel good with her but it's not like I'll be wrecked if she dies.

Right?

Feelings are something I don't want to develop. This marriage is like a business deal to me, so what if I kissed her? She wanted this. A kiss or two is nothing. We can let it slide, but getting into it with her is strictly prohibited.

I can never let it happen, even if it makes me go crazy because let's be honest suppressing my feelings around her is getting harder by day.

But no, I would never do it. 

*

Never in my twenty-seven years of life did I think that I would have to seduce my wife for my benefit.

Watching her sleep in my arms makes my insides turn.

I've broken the only promise I made to myself.

I slept with her. I slept with her without first getting to the depth of her relationship with Ethan.

I trace the scar on her lower back, I happened to discover it last night. That scar told me everything that I needed to know.

Damion lied. 

My wife is a victim. She was never raped. But that doesn't change the fact that she is a victim.

I texted Andre earlier this morning and advised him to find out more about this.

She starts to wake up, so I close my eyes, unsure why. Maybe I don't want her to catch me staring at her like a creep.

I feel her hand on my cheek, then on my lower lip. I open my eyes and look at her.

Maybe she'll trust me enough to tell me the truth now.

*

I lied to her, I didn't know the whole story that night when she and Ethan met. I had no choice but to keep in mind what Damion had told me. But now that I know the whole truth, I wish I could kill that bastard right now.

But I can't. I can't do anything just now.

I have to finish this project, and then Ethan Parker will die in a car crash.

I can't let him have a life. He deserves to die in the most horrendous way possible.

Keeping these thoughts aside, I am solely focusing on getting intimate with my wife whenever I get the chance. I know she loves it, I like it too. She is a nice girl, I won't mind having her around me for the rest of my life as long as she stays out of trouble.

One thing that is still bothering me is why she didn't tell me that he was bothering her.

She should've done that the moment he first did that. I would've killed the bastard. I would've-

I would've ended him.

No one bothers my family.

I look at the papers in front of me. 

I have to get her signs on them and secure her future if something happens to me. 

"Is it possible to get her signs on them without her knowing?" the lawyer looks at me and sighs, this isn't new for him, he's used to my unusual questions.

"Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it, Mr. Hayes." 

I look at him and raise my eyebrows. 

"I didn't ask for your opinion. I asked if it was possible or not?" 

He nods a few times.

"Good, you may leave now." I watch him as he leaves, I can bet a thousand bucks that he's going to call Grandpa as soon as he exits this room.

But I don't care anymore. Grandpa wants things to run smoothly, I'll make sure they do. 

"You're transferring the land to your wife? Are you crazy?" 

I look at my best friend, and I know he's not overreacting. I caught myself by surprise too when I told my lawyer to prepare the papers.

I don't know why but I have this feeling that she might need this in the future. Maybe this land will protect her if I'm not there with her.

"What about the warehouse? We were going to build a warehouse there, you know we need more space, right?"

I nod, I hadn't thought about that. I was too busy thinking of ways to protect her.

"What are you going to do? I understand that you love her but-"

"Who said anything about love?" I cut him off because he was spewing bullshit.

"Do you not love her? You're doing things you've never done before," 

"Did you expect me to transfer lands to the women I hooked up with? Be for real, Will. She's my family, I can't let her die."

Willian considers this for a moment before he looks at me again.

"She can die if she finds out everything. Even if she does, just don't tell you Grandpa."

He can be so stupid at times.

"Stop irritating me. I have many things to think about."

If she finds out everything, She won't sit back. That's why I can't let her find anything out.

I can't let her find out that she was always meant to cross paths with us.

She was set to marry me as soon as she stepped into adulthood. Even though I just got to know this piece of information.

Her life had always belonged to the Hayes.