Chapter Forty.

I can't believe I just told him everything.

He's looking at me like I just told him I cheated on him, I'm growing nervous thinking maybe he's lost his mind after this revelation. I can't believe I am the one who told him that he has a sister. I still don't know the whole story of why he thought his sister died, was she with his parents at the time of the crash and survived?

"Did you know you had a sister?" I ask him, Stupid question I know but maybe he lost his memory after that traumatic event and can't recall anything about his past, because I've never heard him mention his parents even once.

He finally takes a deep breath and gestures for me to sit down beside him on the tiny ass armchair which is in the corner of his study. I raise my eyebrows at him and he rolls his eyes.

"Fine, keep standing. Listen, Yes, I know I have a sister and she survived the car crash but," He stands up and looks down at me.

"She's messing with you, Marilyn. She could've escaped years ago when I tried to get her out of that shithole but she refused, She chose to stay with them and now I have nothing to do with her." He says, I look up at him wondering if he's lying or if I was just fooled by his sister.

"Who is 'them'?" 

"The people who want me dead." His words cause my breath to hitch because just hearing these words is pure agony to me.

I look down at my feet and nod.

"So, will you just ignore that phone call?" I ask him, I feel his hands on my shoulders causing me to look up at him again.

"Yes, and I want you to forget about it too." He leaves my shoulders and then sits down on his chair again. I start to leave the room when he calls me.

"Marilyn." 

I look at him again, a clear sign for him to go on.

"Never receive calls that are meant for me ever again." His voice has a warning. He's not ordering me, he's warning me.

I nod slightly and start walking toward the door while thinking about what the hell I should do in this situation.

Should I just listen to him? Or should I do something to help that poor girl? Maybe she's regretting her decision now. Maybe she really is in danger and the question is, why would she try to trap me?

Does she hate her brother?

But why would she hate her bother?

Why is this family so confusing, why isn't there one normal person here?

Maybe I'm not normal either anymore.

I'm not living a normal life, and I'm definitely not married to a normal person. 

But I'm getting a bad feeling about this. Maybe I should help the girl, perhaps this is just a huge misunderstanding.       

I leave the study and shut the door behind me.

I think of my husband, who's behind this door. I think of the time when we could've worked out. When we could've fallen in love and started living like a normal married couple.

But maybe, he'll never love me. With the way I behave, he won't ever love me for sure.

I rest my back against the door and close my eyes. This is the time when we're supposed to make beautiful memories. Arguing over baby names and whatnot.

A lone tear escapes my eye, but I quickly wipe it away.

Crying over your problems never solves them. I should be strong.

I am strong.

I push away from the door and start making my way downstairs, maybe a little fresh air would help me think clearer. 

"Mrs. Hayes, should I prepare a bath for you?" I find Eva standing in front of the kitchen, her usual smile plastered on her face but I can tell that she's tired. 

"No, I'm just going to sit in the garden for a while you should go and sleep. It's getting late." I can tell that she's contemplating whether to accompany me to the garden or just listen to me and clock out for the day.

"Just go, you need rest." I pat her shoulder and smile at her. I find a hint of gratitude in her eyes as she nods.

"Thank you, Mrs. Hayes. Have a good night." I nod and without waiting for her to leave, resume my walk towards the garden.

I slide the glass door open and take a deep breath. The air is getting colder, soon it will be winter. I love this. 

Closing the door behind me, I step outside and look around. It's dark here, which is weird because the garden lights are always switched on at night. 

Giving no further thought to this matter, I start walking around a little as I soak up all the freshness of the air. Sure, my heart's aching, but that doesn't mean I can't be happy for a little while.

I need to be happy, my baby needs to be happy. So maybe by forcing myself to think that I am happy, I can achieve my goal.

I-

"Glad to find you here, bitch." I hear her voice before I feel her hand covering my nose and my mouth.

I try to open my mouth to scream, but I can't. I can't make a sound at all. 

Maybe this is just a prank, maybe it's Brooke who's here to surprise me. Maybe-

No.

I know it's not Brooke.

My hands instinctively go towards her hand but it doesn't take me longer than a second to realize that it was not only her hand over my nose and my mouth.

Giving me no chance to even try to fight her off of me, I feel her starting to drag me somewhere even before I'm fully unconscious.

Even in this situation, all I could think of is him.

My husband, who's inside the house and has no idea what's happening out here.

The world around me starts getting darker than it was before as I feel a sharp pain shooting in my lower abdomen.

It feels like I'm losing my breath.

It feels like this night is probably going to be my last.

And in all this devastation all I could think of is

Him.

Only him.

Aiden Hayes.