Chapter Thirty-Nine.

"Will you mind?" I ask him as I try to enter the closet, he's standing in front of the closet door typing something on his mobile phone. He steps aside without looking at me and I wonder why he isn't lashing out at me. Threatening me? I've been doing whatever the hell I want to do, I've been sleeping in the guest bedroom, I've been rejecting his touches, I've been leaving every room that he enters JUST so he'll actually listen to me and finally give up on his people-killing business.

But it's only been three days since I came back so I think it might take longer to make him change his mind.

"I want to talk to you." I hear him say from outside. I look down at the pair of heels in my hands, I forgot to take them to my new room so I had to step into this room despite him being in here and get them before I went to sleep or I would've forgotten about them till morning.

"But I don't," I reply. I step out of the closet and start making my way toward the bedroom door, but before I could even reach the doorknob, I'm pulled back with so much force that I'm afraid I would've crashed against the opposite wall and died on the spot had his mighty chest not protected me.

"What the hel-," Before I can finish my sentence I find myself staring right into those blue eyes of his that always mesmerize me.

Is he trying to enchant me? Because if he is, it's working.

"Aiden, I-"

"Are you going to keep this up forever? Do you think you can do this, Marilyn?" He asks. I don't try to find any expressions in his eyes today, because if I did that, I'll break right now.

"I can. And I will until you leave that deadly job of yours." I whisper. I don't know why, but I think I've started crying.

"Do you think that I'd leave my business just because a woman is telling me to? Are you that dumb?" He wants to know. 

A woman?

Is that what I am to him?

Just a woman?

"A woman?" I end up questioning him. He furrows his brows in confusion and he looks down at me.

"Is that what I am to you now? A woman? Just a woman?" I ask him. His hands make their way to my elbows and he pulls me towards him.

"Can't you see you're pissing me off with that silly attitude of yours? I'm doing whatever I can to keep you safe, what else do you want from me?" 

I shake my head slightly as tears make their way to my cheeks. 

"I want you to leave everything. I hate that you kill people, I hate that you're always in danger. I hate that I'm always so worried about you. Can't you see how stressed out I am? do you think this is good for the baby?" I'm crying now. Spilling all the pent-up tears that I've been holding for the last few days.

He takes a deep breath as he pulls me even closer to him so now my head is resting against his chest.

"I'm sorry. I never wanted this for you, I never wanted to get married but-,"

I raise my head and look at him.

"But now you are, you have two lives other than yourself to protect, do you think this all is worth it? What if I die? Will you be happy then?" Maybe now, I'm trying to get him emotional. 

"Marilyn, you're not going to die. Nobody is going to die except for...," He looks away leaving his sentence incomplete.

"Except for whom?" I ask him, even though I might know the answer.

He removes his hands from my elbows and takes a step away.

"Except for you, right?" I look at him and wipe away my tears. He's looking at me. He knows that I know.

I know that he's in danger.

And he might not be doing this all willingly.

"Who's making you do this, Aiden?" I finally ask him, His eyes grow a little wide and he tries to hide the astonishment in them but what he doesn't know is that I always try to read his expressions and I've gotten quite good at it.

"What are you talking about?" He asks.

"You don't want to do this. You don't, I can see that." I take a step toward him and try to take his hands in mine, but he steps father away from me.

"Stop. Just stop, Marilyn. I'm sick of this. Stop trying to change my mind, I love what I do, I never gave you enough authority to try to talk me out of anything." With that, he walks past me and leaves the room.

How can I forget that I still don't mean anything to him? 

I walk towards the bed and sit down. 

He's never going to listen to me. So I shouldn't care as well. I should live my life like I used to live before I got to know his dark secret.

I look down at the floor where I dropped my heels earlier and let out a sigh.

I'll have to bring all the clothes back from the guest room, but wait... I'll just ask Eva or Tessa to do that for me tomorrow.

I place my head on my pillow and close my eyes.

Who could be pressurizing Aiden into doing this bloody business? 

The real question is, can anyone actually pressurize Aiden into doing anything?

A slow buzzing beside me pulls me out of my thoughts, I look beside me to find his phone there.

The screen is lit, he's getting a call from an unknown number. Should I pick it up?

The phone keeps buzzing until I can't take it anymore. I pick up the phone and press it to my ear.

"Hello?" A woman's voice reaches my ear.

I don't know what to do, what if this is work-related? 

"Hello, is this you Aiden?" the woman asks when I don't say anything.

"It's his wife, actually." I manage to get these words out.

"Marilyn? Thank god, it's you. I need help." I pull the phone away from my ear thinking that maybe this is my phone. It's not. It's Aiden's.

Who is this woman?

"Who are you?" I ask her, sitting up straighter.

"I'm Aiden's sister and I need help, or they'll kill me."