Chapter Forty-Five.

A fucking business dinner again. With all those fake bastards who try to get in my good books just for their own benefit.

I still can't get her words out of my head. She wanted me to come home early.

She fucking wanted me to come home early. What have I done?

I definitely did not hand her any hope for the future so why was she talking like that?

I feel sorry for her. I feel so damn sorry for her that it makes me angry.

And right now, I'm at home. Early.

And the dinner wasn't even until nine, I asked them to push it back to seven. I don't know why.

But one thing that's sending me off is that she is nowhere to be found.

I don't give a damn about her whereabouts, to be honest, but I have to keep a check on her as she's my wife and all.

Why didn't the driver inform me about where she was headed?

I should fire him the moment they come back.

With these useless thoughts, I sit on the living room couch, waiting for her to come so we can go to the damn dinner.

*

Holy fucking shit.

Control yourself, Aiden Hayes. You cannot let your emotions come in the way. You've been doing great so far. Please stop trying to sneak a look at her.

Her back meets with my chest and she audibly sucks in a breath.

Goosebumps spread all over her bare arm; it takes everything in me not to smile at this. It's satisfying to see the effect that I have on her.

Sure, it is satisfying but at the same time, it isn't very comforting.

I don't like that she has so many expectations from me when I have none from her.

"Are you cold?" I ask her knowing full well she isn't.

She shakes her head slightly. She's nervous. I keep looking at her. Because despite having no feelings whatsoever for her, this girl is beautiful.

In a matter of seconds, I find myself turning her around to face me. The next few minutes are a blur of something I don't quite understand.

Why did I tell her to change her dress? It isn't like the men there would even dare to look at my wife in front of me.

Why did I have to grab her hair? It must have hurt her.

It hurts me to think that I did that to her. I shouldn't be like that to the girl who doesn't even know the real me. Who, doesn't even know who she even married.

Even if I accept it or not, she's family. And I'd never be violent to my family no matter what. I shouldn't be violent to my family.

I called her a slut.

I called my wife a slut.

I don't understand what comes over me at times.

Was I feeling this way because maybe I'm accepting her as my family now? Or maybe I'm in the initial stages of accepting her as family.

I don't know and I don't want to know.

*

God damn bastards. All of them. I swear to God if they don't stop looking at her, I'm gonna gouge their fucking eyes out.

The fact that they are looking at her isn't making me angry, it's the fact that they are even daring to look at her in my presence, that's angering me. Do I have no fucking authority anymore?

When I can't take this disrespect anymore I decide to use my authority on the one who always caves in.

The girl.

Well, maybe being so over-dramatic over this wasn't a great choice as I hate any unwanted attention directed toward me.

But leading her to the men's room when I have my face in the newspapers every other day and of course, my wife whom nobody has seen since the wedding until tonight did cause people to look at us.

But the damage was done and guess what?

I don't give a fuck.

*

I don't know what went wrong with my mind today but I'm definitely not the family-protecting Aiden today.

I just ruined her with my words. I can't believe I was capable of saying these things to a woman who is supposed to have an important place in my life.

She's legally my wife. I'm supposed to protect her from the evils out there. But here I am, ruining her with words that I wish I never said.

God, I feel like an asshole. I shouldn't have touched her.

I touched her chest. Even if it was to fix that goddamn dress. I shouldn't have done that, because now I feel like I can touch her whenever the fuck I want.

And I know the moment I let this regret go, I'll do whatever it takes to make her cave into my requests.

To my authority.

And taking into account what I did today, I don't know what I'll be doing next.

What if I kiss her?

Or worse what if I sleep with her just because I want to establish my authority over her?

I need some serious help unless I want to ruin this girl forever.

Maybe just regretting my actions is a big step for me.

Maybe I'm not that bad a person.

Maybe I need to get this girl out of my life once and for all.