Chapter Forty-Four.

He looks at me, his eyes holding a storm of emotions. He wants me to spare him. He wants me to let him go.

I want to let him go.

"Who was it?" That's the only thing I ask him.

"I can't tell you." He replies with a seemingly calm voice but I can see the fear in his eyes.

"It was my grandfather, right?" I ask him, wishing he'd tell me I've doubted the right person all this time.

I say 'doubted' because I need solid proof to believe that my parents died at the hands of the person they trusted the most.

I need a solid reason to kill that man. Just thinking about it shakes me to my core. As much as I hate the fact that he was probably the one who destroyed my family, I know I love him. Despite everything, he raised me.

He gave me a home when he could've abandoned me.

He made me who I am today.

A successful businessman

A man who can't save his married life if his life depended on it.

This thought makes me freeze. How can I think about this when I have a man in front of me, who could tell me who murdered my parents?

"You have a younger sister back home right?" Threatening them through family, a sick tactic but it always works.

His demeanor changes in milliseconds.

"What do you mean?"

She lives with your maternal aunt, goes to school on the weekdays, and works on the weekends, right?"

"Stop fucking talking about her." He says, as calmly as he can. But my method is working very well.

"Do you think my men will spare her? The moment I tell them to finish her," I lean forward and look into his eyes, "you'll lose her forever."

"Shut the fuck up, you bastard!" He shouts and I take a step back, not because I'm taken aback by the sudden increase in his voice but because I'm amused.

"See? You care about your sister and if I kill her, naturally you'd want to seek revenge." I look away from his face momentarily then look back at him "That's what I've wanted to do. Seek revenge. But for that, I have to be sure who the real murderer is and you'll have to help me with that."

His eyes travel from my face to something behind me, and they widen noticeably.

"I want to live." He says to the space behind me. Maybe the drugs are still working actively in his system. The drugs that were injected into him made him lose consciousness.

"I'll let you live if you just open your damn mouth."

"Let me live, I didn't say a word." He keeps on looking into the space behind me.

"Look at me when you talk you-,"

Bang. 

Bang.

Bang.

Blood.

Screaming.

Blood.

A lot of blood.

*

"You're not telling anyone about what happened." 

"But-," He tries to speak but I hold up a finger to stop him.

"The bullet grazed my arm, no big deal. I don't want anyone fussing over it." I sit up on the hospital bed and look at him.

"Is he alive?" I ask, knowing that his answer won't please me.

Andre lowers his eyes to the ground.

"I'm sorry, he didn't make it."

"He was targeted. Somebody knew he was at the warehouse." Somebody knew he was at the warehouse. Someone is monitoring my every move.

I turn my eyes to Andre, this time wanting to kill him with my bare hands because I know this idiot failed to catch hold of the man who tried to kill me and of course killed that guy but that's really not important to me right now.

"You didn't catch him, did you?" I still end up asking him, hanging on the hope that maybe Andre did catch that guy.

 "I'm sorry." His reply fills me with rage. I swear to god, if I had a gun on me this very moment, he'd have been dead by now.

"Why the fuck are you always sorry? Can't you just give me a positive reply for once in your life?" I sit up on the bed, ready to chock him if need be.

"We had to take you to the hospital, there wasn't much we could do."

"You're too spoiled Andre, just because I've known you for half of my life does not mean that you'll be allowed to stay with me for long if you keep on disappointing me. If you can't handle the work, leave." 

I stand up finally and examine my arm for the first time. It Isn't too bad but I'll have to take care of the wound to avoid any infections. And of course, I'll have to hide it from that girl too. Married life is exhausting sometimes.

"Will you go home?" He asks, I nod slightly, then look at him again.

Despite the things he sometimes does to make me mad, he's like a brother who's always been there for me whenever I needed him.

I have to be harsh on him so that he could learn, he's only twenty. He works in my office during the daytime and works beside me in the mafia world at night. This is the life he has to lead, not because I want him to but because his family has been doing this for decades.

I want him to lead a good, respectful life. But maybe it's not in his fate. Just like me.

I place my hand on his shoulder.

"You weren't hurt, right?" I ask him, he shakes his head lightly. He looks down. But he knows these scolding are for his own good. He looks up to me and treats me like his elder brother and I play the role very well, I must say.

"Good, you better not be. I need you by my side." With that I head towards the door, trying to avoid any emotional scene because Andre is a very sensitive soul and he'll probably cry a little before following me out.

I wonder if I'd have that many emotions in me, if I had grown up with a normal family. 

Had my parents been alive, I'd have been a happy child and a mentally peaceful adult. And then maybe, I'd have a normal life with that girl.

But normal things are not meant for everyone.

Some people are meant to live a different life. Different from everyone. 

I am one of them, different from most people. The odd one out.