Chapter Fifty-One.

*Reader Discretion is advised*

Ethan Parker.

There's something fishy about him. This thought crosses my mind as I watch the color fade from Marilyn's face every time he tries to talk.

Old friends don't act this way when they reunite, which begs the question, Are they friends?

On the other hand, that woman, who's supposedly his secretary, keeps trying to get my attention. 

If I were the person I was 5 years ago, I would have given her all the attention she wanted, as long as she gave me what I wanted.

But I grew up, and my preferences changed. 

I keep finding myself looking at Marilyn, though. She looks nice today, although I didn't tell her that. I feel she was expecting a compliment, but we have time for that. I'm planning to satisfy her tonight, I decide as my eyes travel all over her elegant frame, lingering a little longer on her exposed thigh. She's even wearing those diamonds I got for her at our wedding. Even though I never put them on her, maybe I'll take them off for her tonight.

I close my eyes momentarily and open them again. It has been a while since I'd been turned on like this. This can't be a good thing, but having a pretty woman in front of my eyes every day for a few hours and beside me every night can do that to a man, just as well make the most of it.

I spend the rest of the dinner focusing more on trying to keep myself under control and less on Ethan, but I make a mental note to run a thorough background check on him in case we missed something.

The dinner ends what seems like an eternity later, and we reach home. My burning desire is begging me to throw her to the bed and finally give myself peace, but I can't do that. Not after last time. Not so fast.

I take off her heels for her, I noticed earlier when I helped her put them on, how her face lightened up on this. She gets happy with small gestures. It warmed my heart a little, and I don't even know what a warm heart feels like, I've never felt this before.

She makes me feel so many emotions that are foreign to me.  

This night was supposed to be the night when I finally thought about myself and my needs and my life, but Damion, that asshole had to ruin it.

Just as our lips seem like they are one, my phone starts ringing, The only person who can dare to call me at this hour is Isaac.

I pull away from her cursing Isaac's existence before I pick up the call.

"Boss, it's Damion. He's at the warehouse and is asking to see you."

"Can't you handle it on your own?" I ask him.

"He's saying he'll come to your place if you don't see him." 

I look at her. Her face has turned a bright pinkish shade.

Alas, I'll have to leave her alone once again tonight.

Damion, as usual, had nothing new to say. But he had learned his lesson last time and refrained from talking about her. But I had a feeling that he was not going to stop thinking about her any time soon.

In that case, he could get himself killed, and I won't even hesitate in doing so.

Might after night, I leave Marilyn all by herself in that isolated house. This is the first time that I've thought about it. She must be lonely. She must...

"Ethan Parker, your new project partner," I look at him as these words leave his mouth.

"What about him?" For the first time in the past ten minutes, Damion has my attention.

"Your wife and him, they have a history."

"I know that," If he thought he'd get a reaction out of me over this, he was wrong.

"Are you sure you know everything?" He asks.

"Even if I don't, I'll find it out eventually. Keep your nose out of my business."

"What if you find out they weren't just friends?" He asks.

"I won't give a flying fuck about that." I retort, because I won't. Maybe they dated for a while, who knows? She's human after all and it's only natural for her to date.

"That Ethan, he's not someone you'd want to trust." He tries again.

"I don't trust a single person around me, Are we done here now?"  I just want to get back to my wife right now. Hold her in my arms and

Just hold her.

It's not love that's making me impatient, as if. It's lust.

Just lust, nothing else. It's been ages since I've been with a woman and damn I'm craving her touch.

"As your brother, I feel like it's my responsibility to let you know-,"

"I do not consider you my brother, now continue with your bullshit."

He stands up at this and faces me completely.

"I hate to break it to you, but you'll be shocked upon hearing that your wife isn't as pure as you thought she was." He shakes his head and a sly smile starts playing on his lips.

"Stop talking about my wife, if you don't want to get your teeth knocked out," I say this pretty calmly despite the storm building up inside me.

"That business partner of yours raped your darling wife."

The storm that was building inside me erupts. But nothing comes out of my mouth.

Liar. He's lying. He wants to get a reaction out of me, but I'm not giving him anything.

"Take care of him, throw him out of this place," I start walking towards the exit without looking back, then I turn and point towards my so-called brother, "If this turns out to be a lie, you're dead. I swear on everything that has ever meant something to me, I'll kill you with my own hands." I could feel my hands tremble, I'm not sure what I'm feeling right now.

I just know he's lying.

He has to be.

My wife is a virgin. She's pure. She's got to be.

I crank the engine of my car but I can't seem to start driving. My trembling hands won't allow me to.

What if this is true? Would that mean, she never trusted me enough to tell me any of this?

For the first time in years, I felt like I could have a life. But maybe I was wrong.

Maybe I was cursed by birth.