Chapter Forty-One.

Part II

Aiden Hayes

*

I watch her sitting there, with her head hung low. It seems like she's praying but I might be wrong.

Her light-brown hair is curtaining her face, hiding it completely from sight. Maybe she's really pretty, that's why grandpa's been pressuring me to marry her.

I can't believe he collapsed after a little argument. But maybe that's what happens when you get old.

I shake my head slightly, thankful that he's okay now but nervous about what might happen when I see him.

I start walking towards her, curious to see what she looks like. Even though I do not want to marry her, I still want to see what she looks like.

As I grow closer to her, I see her raise her head slightly, just slightly until I can see the tip of her nose.

I keep walking toward her, hoping she'd notice me. Hoping she'd raise her head so I could finally see and reject her. I'd need a valid reason to leave her in front of grandpa and I'll just tell him I didn't think she was pretty enough.

I finally reach her, and that's when she raises her head.

Green.

The first thing I notice about her is her eyes.

She has green eyes.

She stands up swiftly, but I can't help but just stare into her eyes.

"Are you Mr. Aiden Hayes?" She's asking me. I nod slightly and look away from her to gather myself.

I look back at her and instantly feel disappointed.

She's beautiful.

"Mr. Hayes is inside, the doc-," My mind seems like it has stopped working. I'm so damn pissed off right now. She's fucking beautiful. How am I supposed to say no now?

Without letting her finish her sentence, I walk past her and step inside the hospital room. I kind of feel bad for ignoring her but never mind.

"So you finally came." His voice immediately tells me that he's faked this all.

I sigh and look at him.

"Why would you do that, grandpa?"

"Because I know you'll never listen to me unless I die." He replies, I scoff.

"Come on, you're still alive and there's a high chance I still won't listen to you."

"Didn't you see her outside? Isn't she beautiful?" He wants to know but I don't want to answer that.

"Just stop. Let me live my life like I want to." I try for one last time because I know he will not budge.

"Your parents wouldn't have wanted you to live like this." He tries again.

"They would've wanted me to live my life as I desired," I tell him. I watch him as he shifts in the hospital bed, looking at me all the while making himself comfortable.

"I'm not young, Aiden. I can't manage this business any longer, I want you to take over but I have to make sure that you are settled and have a-"

"A heir? You just want a heir for your business. I can get you a heir if that's what you want but I am not getting married."

"I'll never stop you from doing anything. You can run the business as you please."

Now that's the most satisfying sentence I've heard from his mouth this whole week.

I turn to look at him and feel a smile making its way to my mouth.

"Prepare a contract. You'll hand the business over to me. I'll get married. Have a baby. And divorce her."

I can see that he doesn't like the last part of my sentence, but I don't care. All I need in life is to have a successful business and that's it.

I have nothing to do with women. I don't want to have a family.

"Okay. So can I talk to her then?" He asks me.

"She doesn't know anything yet?" I ask him because I think I still have hope. Maybe she'll say no. She'll be rejecting me but I'll be thankful to her for that.

"I'll talk to her and I know she'll agree," He replies. I want to ask him how is he so sure but I keep my mouth shut for now.

I hope she rejects me.

*

The way she's looking at me makes me want to kill her and then myself. I can't do this. I can't do this to her. I can't do this to myself.

My eyes find their way to the man who's responsible for this, He looks happy. He fucking looks happy.

I look back at her, finding my eyes on her, and she smiles at me. I don't return her smile. I can't. The ceremony starts. She says her vows but I hear nothing, I can see her lips moving, I know what she might be saying but I can't hear her.

I don't want to hear it.

I can't remember how I said my vows, all a bunch of promises that I'm not going to keep.

I feel bad for this girl standing in front of me, who's probably hoping for a happy married life.

"Congratulations. You just ruined two lives." This is the first thing I say to my grandfather after I manage to get away from everyone.

"I just made two lives better, you'll thank me one day." He replies, his smile won't leave his face and I'm so, so pissed off at him right now.

"I sure won't be thanking you in this lifetime. One year. I won't allow her in my life after this one year."

"You should go back to your wife, It seems like she's looking for you." I turn a little to take a look at her and true, her eyes are wandering around the lawn as if she's looking for someone.

Maybe her husband.

That would be me.

I can't believe I'm going to use this girl for my business.

Just when I thought I couldn't stoop any lower I proved to myself that I can.

I can't believe this.