Chapter Forty-Seven.

My mother was a very kind woman. She was beautiful, soft-spoken, and very gentle.

Despite all these qualities, she never hesitated to speak her mind when the need came.

I loved her, of course. But not just because she was my mother, but because she was someone I looked up to.

People often told her that I take after her. It's easy for people to assume that daughters take after their mothers, but in our case it was different. 

I was a very soft-hearted kid. And I wanted to stay like that because that meant that I'd taken after my mother.

My father adored her. He'd be ready to do anything for her. 

Mom and Dad.

These terms now seem foreign to me. I'll be lying if I say I don't miss them.

I do. I miss them every day, but I also feel a heavy guilt weighing down on my heart.

Why?

Because I'm nothing like my parents anymore.

I treat my wife like shit. 

I'm not kind or soft-spoken.

Maybe they are looking down at me in disappointment over how their son has turned out to be.

This guilt today led me to do something I wouldn't have thought I'd do in a million years.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little.

I find myself being decent to her these days. I don't know why, I let her touch me, and I talk to her like she's an actual human being and not a showpiece, and I try to care for her needs.

By touching, I mean, I let her massage my shoulders when I was positive I was going to burst with anger.

Hiring her wasn't a bad idea after all.
Today,  when I received an emergency call, I knew I had to leave her. And I knew that leaving her here was a very dangerous idea but I didn't have any time to explain anything to her and taking her with me meant exposing my other side to her which I don't want to do right now.

So, I left her.

And not before hugging her.

I don't know what's come over me these days. It's all maybe because I miss my parents a little too much nowadays.

I'm surprised by the courage she showed today by initiating the hug.

And I won't say that I minded it because strangely it felt okay.

But what didn't feel okay was what came in the coming hours.

The reason I had to leave in an emergency was that I had to settle some terms with a business partner. From the mafia world.

But what I didn't know was that the 'business partner' had already joined hands with an opposing party.

That meant only one thing.

They called me out here so they could tarnish my property or worse

They could hurt my wife.

I've never felt more scared in my life than I did tonight.

Having her on a call with me was the only way to assure her safety until my men assessed the situation.

I could sense her fear, and I knew she was confused. Why wouldn't she be?

I couldn't help but wish that I could fly over there and tell her not to worry because I've got it.

One little mistake in my world could lead to huge losses. How could I let myself be this careless?

I can't lose her. 

Not after losing my family, I can't lose the only woman who wants to be my family.

The way back home was frustrating. I wanted to reach home as soon as possible before something else goes wrong. I should've just left Andre there.

It makes me mad to think that I knew something was going to happen and still left her there with a gun she has no idea that it was there. How was I this careless today?

After today's events, I don't think I can hide my truth from her any longer.

I've messed up big time.

*

I lie down beside her on the bed, and for the first time in our marriage,  I touch her willingly.

I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her closer to me.

For the first time in our marriage, I truly feel sorry for this girl lying beside me.

Can't we have a normal life?

I can give her one, right?

She turns in my arms until she's facing me.

Her soft features make me feel sorry for myself because I might not be able to adore her like she should be adored.

Like she deserves to be adored.

I hope I never have a daughter,

Because Karma is a bitch.

*********

Author's Note:

Hello lovely people,

I'm so sorry for the late and kinda boring update.

I was quite out of it for some time now and needed a break. I just couldn't think and hence thought I shouldn't write or else I won't be satisfied with the update.

Not saying I still am but here you all are, I'll try to give a better update next time.

See you all soon!