Chapter Twenty Eight

𝐴𝑢𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑎 ♡︎

"Oh, my darling girl."

I was about to cry again. I hadn't seen my grandmother in over four years. Sure, we talked over the phone, but it wasn't the same as being embraced by her. She gave the best fucking hugs.

"When did you get here?" I asked, pulling away and putting my hands on her shoulders.

She was still as beautiful as ever. Her curls were flatter, and more of a dark grey colour now. She didn't have many wrinkles; her lips were still full, and her eyes were as bright as ever.

She was a beacon of light in my life. Physically and mentally.

I'm almost certain I have the same lips as her. Which I'm so grateful for.

"A couple hours ago. Your parents wanted it to be a surprise, that's why they sent you out."

I looked over her shoulder to see my parents both side-eyeing me. Natalia stood behind them. She didn't bother looking at me. In fact, she was looking at everything except me.

Good. I didn't want her eyes on me anyways.

"Where's grandpa?"

I heard a couple footsteps, and then my grandfather was standing in front of me.

"I'm right here, my little butterfly."

I practically flung myself at him. I buried my face in his shoulder and let my arms wrap around his shoulders. He embraced me, squeezing me as hard as he could.

My grandfather had similar hair to my grandmother, only it was a much lighter colour of grey. He had much more wrinkles, and his back was slightly hunched.

He was still beautiful.

He was my second beacon of light. Together, they were, and still are, the brightest lights in my life.

Enzo follows close behind them.

"How are you, Aurora? It's been too long." He whispered.

My cheeks were wet again. I don't know why I was crying—Well, maybe I did. My grandparents and my cousins were the only ones who actually gave a shit about me all those years ago. Without them, I'm almost certain I wouldn't be where I was today.

I pulled back and wiped my nose with the back of my hand. Then, with my palms, I wiped my cheeks.

"I'm doing great, grandpa. I really am." I turned around to see Enzo smiling at me. I grabbed his elbow with my hand and brought him closer to me.

"I want you to meet someone. This is Enzo, he's, my boyfriend."

My grandma gasped and stepped forward. She cupped his face with her hands and examined him. His smile grew bigger as he leaned down for her.

"He's very handsome," She turned back to me with her hands still on him. "Aurora Rae, where did you find this man?"

I picked at the skin around my fingers. "We used to work together. We've been dating for around four years now."

"What!" Both my grandparents seemed to have jumped out of their pants at the news.

"You never told anyone?"

"I mean... I did, but uh...I'm not sure they cared very much."

I glared at my parents.

My grandmother realised and scoffed. She looked back at Enzo, and kind of just stared at him.