Chapter 7

Elio and I had been hanging out on the sofa after having eaten together. I wasn't expecting company tonight, so when there was a loud banging on the door it made me jump out of my skin. I quickly looked at my brother to see if he was reacting the same way. When he reached behind him like he was ready to grab something off his waist, I got nervous that trouble was here. 

Trouble was definitely here, just not the kind I feared. 

When Elio swung the door open a high pitched scream echoed through the apartment. My head whipped in its direction and barreling towards me was my best friend, Sophia De Luca, looking as glamorous as ever.

        "AH!" I hopped up and met her half way. I could hear Elio grumbling at our loud reunion, but my focus came back to Sophia. "Oh my god, I missed you. Look at this Chanel outfit, are you kidding?! I'm obsessed," she took in my wide pant leg jeans and fluffed white heels. I had the dangling Chanel earrings and tape recorded bag. 

"This is so cute," I tugged on her fabulous blouse. "Isn't it? I went shopping yesterday," she grinned. "Of course you did," I chuckled. 

We often grab hands when we speak. I have no idea why, but it's a habit at this point. I walked her out of the entry and over to the living room where my brother went back to his spot on the other end of the sofa.

He kept my decorum while I was gone. The candles in front of the cream sofa and the vase where I kept the pink flowers, though there aren't any right now. These are replacements from the ones he and Dom broke the day they fist fought in the apartment. Elio told me to just buy fake flowers or I'll kill every peony in America, but it just isn't the same. 

        "Let's go to your room. I want to gossip," she asked me before I could fully reach the seat. She glanced over her shoulder and flipped her blonde hair over it. "No offense, Elio, we love you and all," she teased him. He just rolled his eyes and told us he wasn't getting up, so if we wanted privacy we were welcome to go to the room, like Sophia suggested. 

I'd already spent the last few hours with my brother, so I didn't feel as bad about leaving him to spend a little private time with my best friend. I haven't lived with her for six months. Six months with her, and six months without her, aside from the occasional visit. I always wondered if Dom was privy to that information whenever she'd come to France. He had made it pretty clear he didn't want to pay for her to live there, but he doesn't keep tabs on his little sister very often. 

        "Okay, tell me everything," she started, bouncing onto my mattress and pulling me beside her. "I talk to you like every day. You know everything," I laughed. "Yeah, well, it's different in person. How's Karl? God, you've been living the coolest life. You're more interesting than me now, and I've had some adventurous girlie," she winked, and I shook my head at her. I really missed this girl. 

"Soph...I want to ask you something I've avoided for a long time," I trailed off hoping she understood without my having to spell it out. Sophia could've reported to me about her brother if she wanted to, but she told me it wasn't helpful to me. I knew she was right. Plus, she isn't always with her brother to even know herself. She only comes around when she wants something. Dom said it once and I believe him now.

        "My brother," Sophia gave me a knowing look. I nodded yes. Sophia sighed and adjusted herself on the mattress. "He's still a brooding asshole. What else is there to say, mon amour?" The girl is blunt. "I don't know...I don't even know what I'm looking to hear," I honestly sighed at myself. 

"What he did was wrong. You aren't at fault here for how things ended. The man took a tantrum when he wanted to control your life for his own gain, and you didn't bend at his will. He's a control freak. If he cared he wouldn't have cut you off the way he has. I know it's harsh to say it so forwardly, but I know all these thoughts are resurfacing now that you're back. In Paris it wasn't as hard. Now you're a floor apart. I know that's bothering you."