Chapter 24

I was surprised when I got a phone call from Karl. He really doesn't like technology much. He doesn't frequently use it. "My flower, I must leave for Germany for a short trip. When I return we have work," he told me. We'd had a busy few weeks, but then he went quiet as he sometimes does. Now he's leaving New York. He travels a lot, so it doesn't surprise me. 

"Anything I should prepare for?" I asked him, since he rarely ever tells me what 'work' entails. I heard his light chuckle. "Prada, flower," was his only explanation. My tummy flipped anyway. I love Prada as I love all designer brands, so whatever it is I don't even care. I'm just glad to be involved. After a few minutes of conversation Karl and I hung up. Prada, huh? I'm excited. 

        I was thinking about googling if any Prada events were happening here in New York, but at the same time there was a knock at my front door. Is it Sophia? Maybe Elio forgot his key. Those are honestly the only two people I could imagine at the door. Maybe Riccardo. It was none of those people. In fact, I was so shocked at who I was seeing that I didn't greet him. I just looked up at the man, and an unsettling feeling came over me. 

"Hello Miss Fiore," Detective Bishop nodded to me. Even in casual wear you just know he's a cop. "Oh...detective. I wasn't expecting you" was the only thing I could think to say. I didn't want to let him in. I didn't want this man here. I just lingered in the doorway with the door still only half cracked open. His eyes darted past me to see what he could of my residence, before quickly returning back to me. 

"My apologies for the short notice, but I wondered if you were in a more talkative mood this time around. I really didn't get to say much with that lawyer of yours shutting me down at every turn. I don't see why he'd need to. These are some pretty innocent questions Miss Fiore," he seemed to be trying to get my guard down.

        How dare he approach me without my lawyer present, hoping to trip me up. That doesn't sound professional. That sounds coercive. "I've been advised not to speak without a lawyer present," I didn't buckle at his surprise visit here. "For guilty people, sure," he practically shrugged. Does this man view me as some idiot little girl? I feel like he does. I feel like he thinks he can trick me into talking because I don't want to seem guilty. This angered me.

"I don't believe that's true. It's so you don't turn my words against me in a misleading way to how I meant them. I believe that's why it's advised to have a lawyer," I tipped my chin up to exude confidence, even though I was so uncomfortable right now. I didn't want a guy like him to sense fear or apprehension though. He looks like that arrogant type that thrives off that kind of stuff. 

Detective Bishop pushed his bottom lip out and nodded at my words. "I see," was all he said. We were at a stand still here in the doorway. "So I assume I'm not invited in," he chuckled at my tight grip on my half closed door.

        I was about to speak when I heard the ding of the elevator at the end of the hall. I was both relieved that Elio would be here, and also nervous that he'd become known to someone like Bishop. I don't want him looking too far into my brother's life and finding the skeletons I know he has in his closet. My heart thrummed when I realized it wasn't Elio walking off the elevator, but his best friend instead. What the hell is Dom doing here? Honestly, I was relieved, simply because I didn't want to be alone with Bishop anymore. He was freaking me out.

        Dom was to no surprise wearing a suit. Charcoal gray with a dark button down. He looks impressive in his aura and demeanor. He's a presence that's hard to ignore. I noticed his blue gaze was fixed on Bishop, as if he already knew the man was here. How would he, though? How does Dom always know things? Of course this large figure walking right towards us caught the attention of Detective Bishop. He turned his eyes to the man, but not his body.