Chapter 39

Elio took the time last night to explain to me a little bit about what's been going on. The Italian mob runs guns for most of the east coast and through all of Chicago. It's a lucrative business for them, but the Irish have a grudge over Dom for how some meeting went bad last year and they've partnered up with some low level street gang to try and take over the gun business. 

That's partially why Dom was the specific target yesterday. Some guy named Conry O 'Riley really hates Dom for stopping his engagement with Giana Rizzo of all people.

        Something soured in my gut at his words. So Dom didn't want Giana getting married? And now he's the one who is always hooking up with her? Does he want her for himself? Was he jealous? It burned my insides to think about it.

"We're going to put an end to these threats once and for all. Dom, Alessandro, and myself are good businessmen, Mia, and we know what we're doing," he had told me. "But this isn't that kind of business. This war sounds more like gun fights and violence, not paperwork and money ventures," I had called him out. He was hesitant to tell me much more than that.

When I asked if there were other violent attacks he didn't answer that either, which makes me believe this drive-by shooting wasn't the first of these.

        The discussion didn't end with that though. Elio wanted to finish the discussion by scolding me once more on how I shouldn't be embarrassing him by getting with these men. It's so hypocritical because these guys, my brother included, get with anyone they want and aren't considered 'embarrassments'. 

We bickered a little bit about it which frustrated me, but then Elio left to go take a shower and that sort of ended the conversation there.

        Last night I also received a text from Anthony Rizzo but I hadn't responded back because I was mad at him for opening his mouth about hooking up with me. If he was bragging or bashing me to all his buddies then I just don't want to deal with him again. 

That wasn't fair to me and I thought he was better than that. Plus it led to my fighting with my brother which I hate doing.

        Today I received a call from Karl Lagerfeld himself. He's back in New York and ready to photograph me for Prada to be featured in Vogue magazine, and then we have an actual Prada event that I will be Karl's plus one for. 

It's called Pradaresort Piano Factory New York, and Karl pulled a fun look for me to attend with him. I always trust his opinion. I'm actually excited to see him today since it's been a few weeks.

I didn't overly dress since I'm going to a photoshoot and I'll be stripped and done to their vision for this advertisement anyway. I received a second text from Rizzo this morning but I honestly didn't even think to answer it because I had been on the phone with Karl for about 20 minutes.

Elio wasn't home by the time I left the apartment and maybe it's for the best so we can just forget about our bickering last night.

        I was surprised when I left the building and saw someone already approaching it. The doorman was missing today which is a first. I always see that old man at this door, but I opened the door for myself at the same time as Anthony Rizzo was crossing the street. 

"Mia, what the hell. I got worried something happened to you" he huffed when he saw me. I fisted my Prada clutch a little tighter and tried not to falter in what I wanted to say to him. Of course I wore my Prada clutch to a Prada shoot. It's actually a bag Dom had bought me during our shopping spree last year, but I try not to think about it when I use it.

I looked away from Anthony and started walking to the corner where my ride would be picking me up. "Mia," he followed after me and grabbed my forearm to stop me.