Chapter 21 (Dom's POV)

It was still morning, so the restaurant wasn't open yet. For that reason I was with some family discussing this war we've seem to have gotten ourselves into. It was nearing opening time for the restaurant though, so slowly we were beginning to disperse now that I've said all I need to. We have a reserved table here in the corner booth that's never seated with anyone other than the mob crew. Us closest to the family. It's a round booth, so Alessandro was close to me, but he started to move down now that some of my family was leaving. 

At the same time his phone started ringing. I saw his dark brows furrow. He switched the toothpick he's always got in the corner of his mouth from right to left as he answered the call. "Who is this?" He answered right away. This had my ears perking up. If he's getting calls from random numbers it could be our enemies.

His body language switched from defensive down to what looked to be confusion maybe? "Oh? Hi sweetheart, is everything alright?" I heard him ask. Is this one of his hook ups or something? I was about to shut out the conversation when his words had me tune back in again. "Uh, he won't be available for a bit, but are you alright? Can I do anything for you?"

        I tapped his arm with the back of my hand to give him the chin tip indicating I wanted to know who it was. He glanced at me but turned his focus back to the phone without answering me. I tapped him harder. "Who is it?" I asked out loud now. "Uh, can you hold on a second, honey," he asked the person on the line, clearly female, before turning to me. "It's Mia," he whispered, covering the speaker. I grit my teeth. Why the fuck is she calling him? Heat licked up my insides. 

"She's looking for Elio. She sounds scared," he continued. My eyes snapped back over to him. "Ask why," I continued to grit my teeth. Stay out of it, Domani. "Mia? You were about to tell me what's wrong. You can tell me," he assured her.

        While he listened his expression flickered to one I wasn't entirely sure about. First intrigue, then deeply paying attention. I watched his eyes move to take in this information he's clearly receiving. Then something hesitant or...worried came over his expression? I hit him again to tell me why the fuck she's calling. "Okay, sweetheart, gimme a minute. Don't call him yet. Don't say anything without a lawyer," he told her. What the fuck is going on?!

Alessandro looked over his shoulder to see who was lingering before he started speaking to me in a low, serious voice, which doesn't happen all that often. "Mia said some detective went poking around the tattoo shop looking for her. He gave them his card and said she should call him asap," he started. My brows furrowed deeper than they already were. What the fuck does a detective want from her? 

"They asked about her ex...he's missing," Alessandro said to me, knowing why he's missing. I swiped my hand down my face and huffed. I waved for him to hand me the phone.

        "Mia?" I asked. I know the last time I spoke to her I screamed in her face some pretty harsh words. No, not just harsh...I told her I hate her and I regret her. I told her to stay the fuck away from me, which is why she's calling Alessandro right now and not me. I know she can't reach Elio right now because I've got him working. 

The line stayed quiet for a second. "Um, I'll just handle it," she said quickly, almost ready to hang up once realizing it was me on the line now. "Mia," I quickly tried stopping her. We need to settle this. I don't like cops poking around. "I wasn't trying to drag you into this. It's why I called Ale and not you," she pointed out, using his nickname that even I don't use much. 

How fucking often do these two speak that she's calling him Ale?! 

        "Don't talk to that cop without my lawyer. I'll send you his number now, but I'll talk to him before sending him to you. He'll handle the detective, alright?" I needed her to understand how this goes. I know he's missing because I fucking killed him. Elio and I actually. His body is a garbage meal by now. I have a waste management company for a reason. Still, they could get on her case. There'll be phone records of them two from last year when he was harassing her. I can see why they'd come talk to her.