Chapter 9

Sophia tugged me through the crowd and stopped at the bar closest to the ground floor level VIP that's elevated by a platform. It's wide open to the main floor right now, so they can see out if they make the effort to. "Watch, put your confidence out like a beacon and they'll look. They'll feel it and their eyes will look around until they find the thing that's pulling at them," Sophia leaned into my ear to speak. 

She was in a short black dress, but she didn't go all out, because she said I'm the main attraction tonight. I told her it wasn't necessary, but she's an awesome friend and she's really always rooting for me.

        A bartender stopped short in his walk to the end of the bar. I could see him checking us out before changing course and coming to us. "Hello beautiful ladies, what can I get you?" he smirked and turned on the charm. We ordered drinks, but before they even got to us he was walking back over and pointing at someone. "Those men offered to pay for these," he let us know, nodding his head in their direction. "Lovely, because I wasn't going to pay for this anyway," my best friend deadpanned. The bartender with the parted hair and clean face almost looked confused until Sophia leaned against the bar and said, "My brother owns the place."

 Recognition came over his expression and he straightened up. "Miss De Luca," he got professional. "Ew, no, call me Sophia," she waved off his politeness.

"Your brother's over there tonight," the bartender thought he was informing us. "I know," she didn't even glance in its direction. I was following her lead and doing the same. Sophia always has this air about her that's carefree and easy. She told me to call out like a beacon to gain these men's attention, and I have no idea what she means, but I'm trying to emulate some kind of feeling that can't be ignored.

        Sure enough, Sophia and I were being approached like crazy tonight, but she just kept waving them off. We finished another drink, so I turned to put it down on the bartop. When a hand touched me from behind I jolted and swung around. "Elio?" I wasn't actually expecting him, so the surprise was genuine. "What're you doing here?" He asked me. "Sophia wanted to go out," I thumbed behind me to Sophia, who was sipping her drink and giving my brother a small wave. I saw my brother's eyes drop to my outfit and his lids dropped to a glare. 

"What the hell are you wearing?" He called me out.

"I believe it's called a dress," I answered like a smart ass. "I don't think there's enough fabric to warrant calling it that," he retorted right back. Sophia came forward and stood right beside us. "Hello Elio," she interrupted. He just shook his head. 

"Don't get yourself into trouble with these assholes out here, because I really don't feel like fighting tonight," he let me know. I chuckled. "I didn't ask you to fight anyone. I can handle myself," I pat him on the shoulder. 

        "Are you working?" I played dumb. Sophia glanced my way knowing what I was doing. "Nah actually, we have a party going on for a friend in there," he pointed to the VIP room I already knew they were in. "Oh nice, well, have fun," I waved him off. "Uh, actually Mia, I know the girl too. I was gonna swing by," Sophia gave me a fake sheepish grin. "I don't wanna crash it or anything," I started shaking my head no. 

My brother slightly moved us out of the way because someone was trying to get by. "Nah, it's cool. I'll let her know you're my sister. She won't say shit," he assured me. The thump in my chest returned. I don't know if Dom's there yet, but if he is I'm about to enter the same room as him.

Elio took me by the arm, and I grabbed Sophia's hand, while we cut through the crowd to get to that elevated platform that's the VIP section. There were shiny low tables with bottle service and funky seating around it, but there was a whole section for dancing. We're only separated from the rest of the club by a short banister, so you can dance and see everyone right there. I was trying to remind myself to be confident.