Chapter 41

My heart leapt. I don't have that kind of money. I can't just walk into the store and buy the bag right now. Shit. "Oh, they probably don't have the bag in stores. I would need to order it online" I tried deterring him. "Well we are almost here so let's give it a shot and see," he pressed on. What the heck am I gonna do now? I guess Elio did give me a credit card under his name for emergencies, but I hate using it. I shouldn't be relying on my brother when I'm an adult now. I shouldn't be his burden. Especially his financial burden. I'd pay Elio back in cash, but I'm not convinced he'd even take it. 

"I probably look like I've been crying," I used a second excuse. I opened the sun visor and looked into the little mirror, wiping at my eyes to be sure my makeup wasn't smudged. "You look beautiful sweetheart. Don't worry about it."

I fidgeted with my fingers but decided I would just be honest with Anthony. No...I can't tell a rich mobster I'm broke. Maybe he'll feel obligated to help me out. I guess I have no choice but to use Elio's card. I will insist on giving him the money back. I'll explain how it was stolen and how that was my responsibility to keep it safe. Thank god the thief didn't see this credit card. I don't have it readily displayed. 

        When the car came to a stop I looked up at this same strip I've come too often to shop before. First it was last year when I received my birthday money. Then it was with Dom when I lied to him and told him I was going shopping so he'd leave me alone. But he never did, and he ended up buying me my super cute white boot heels I still wear often. Then again when I met Sophia. We have come here many times, though most times it was to shop for her and not myself. I still enjoy looking at everything. 

Anthony came around the car and opened the door for me like a surprising gentleman. He led me by the small of my back towards the Chanel store and I know he thinks he's doing a nice thing and I appreciate him for it even if I can't afford it. I guess I can 'afford it'. I've made some money on jobs but it's sporadic work and I'm saving up. I want to be responsible with money, so buying a $4,000 purse doesn't feel very responsible. 

        Walking into stores like these is like a kid in a candy shop for me. I get this childlike wonderment in my eyes and practically breathe in the Chanel air. A girl and her boyfriend were shopping inside and I glanced at them as the guy stood beside her where she was linking arms with him and they were looking together at a bag that she was talking to him about. I flashed back to that shopping spree with Dom last year in Paris. The day he left me. I tried to shake the image away, but I saw myself and how happy I was that day with him right by my side, even sometimes pulling items for me himself that he thought I might like. I always did. 

With a quick glance over the store I didn't see the type of bag I was looking for. "Let's ask the woman" Anthony reached down and grabbed my hand which I did not expect at all. I looked down at our connected hands as he led me towards the woman who was already rounding the register with a big customer service smile and flirty eyes to the handsome man approaching her.

        "We're looking for a specific bag, uh, she knows the name" he moved aside for me to speak to the woman. Still he kept my hand in his. His flesh is warm. "Um, it's the valentine heart motif chain handbag with yellow/green canvas," I knew by heart. The woman seemed to be taking in the information for a second and she held a finger up. "We might have the Valentine collection still in the back" she glanced one more time at Anthony before going out back. I was actually praying silently to myself that they don't have this bag. This way I can deal with this in the privacy of my own home. 

I felt Anthony's eyes shift to me, so when I looked over I caught him checking me out. Hand still in mine. "You look very cute in this thingy" he pulled at my pattern top with a layered sleeveless mini dress tunic. "Thanks" I smiled and my eyes accidentally dropped to our connected hands again. He caught me this time.