Chapter 38

Anthony ended up making us a nice breakfast but he didn't let me linger too much on the mob stuff. He started making me laugh instead. When his phone started to ring he glanced at the screen and excused himself from the table. I decided to start cleaning up since he was nice enough to cook. I was still only in his tee as I moved around the kitchen. 

"What?!" I heard Anthony's voice get louder and clearly surprised. "Yeah, yeah I'll head over now" he said to whoever was on the phone. When he hung up he came straight for me. 

"Mia, I'm so sorry. I have to go" he told me. Taking the plate out of my hands and rubbing my knuckles while he told me. "It's okay. Is everything alright?" I asked him. He hesitated for a second. "You don't want me to lie to you right?" He asked me. I nodded and blinked up at him.

"Someone tried shooting at Dom outside of your apartment building" he started talking but my heart dropped at the first half of his sentence. Someone shot at Dom? "Is he okay?!" I couldn't hold back my panic. "Yeah, they missed him" I felt his eyes studying me. He didn't say anything about my reaction, he just apologized again for having to run out on me. 

My heart was thrumming in my chest. "Elio wasn't there right?" I asked him as he started collecting his things and throwing clothes on. "I don't think so sweetheart" he pulled his pants up.

        "Listen, you stay here and I'll have one of my guys come pick you up and bring you somewhere. I don't want you going home alone" he furrowed his brows. "It's fine. I'll figure it out" I assured him. He stopped in front of me and pulled me to him. 

"Mia, I'm gonna have my guy come and escort you to Sophia's house" he wasn't asking now. I just nodded quietly. I guess I would be nervous to go home if the shooting happened right there. The thought of it just punches me in the gut. Dom could have just been killed. 

"I'll have my guy text you. You don't step out of this house unless a guy named Lucio is here to get you, okay?" He looked down at me. I appreciated his protection. Elio thinks I'm with Sophia and I can bet anything he told her not to tell me but to keep me protected. I could bet money on it.

        Anthony leaned down and kissed my lips before pulling away and tossing a shirt on. His keys were in hand and he glanced back one more time before walking out the door. I hope he is safe. I hope all of them are. This pit in my stomach was only growing with every passing moment. Dom was almost shot. Elio is out in the city somewhere and so is Anthony now too. What are they gonna do? God, I hate this. 

        When I lifted my phone to try to text Elio I realized I was shaking. *Me: Love you. Please be safe* I sent the message to my brother. I know he doesn't want me to know but I needed to tell my brother I love him. I don't want anything to ever happen and...god, no I can't even think of it.

 It sours my gut so much I can barely stand it. I got dressed and waited for the text from Lucio whoever that is. I called Sophia in the meantime and she huffed that she was just picking up the phone to call me. 

        "Anthony wants me to go to your house instead of my own," I told her. "Yeah, come over. How are you gonna get here?" She asked me. "He sent one of his men to escort me," I assured her. "He did? God, what a cutie" she gushed. Now is not the time. 

"Sophia, your brother" was all I managed to say. How can she even stand it? "I know, Mia. Everything's gonna be okay" and I don't know if she's convinced herself of that over the years, or if she said it for my sake, but I felt very not okay about all this. 

        When I felt the vibration I knew I received a text. "Lucio is here" I told her. We hung up after that and I walked outside to meet a man running around the car to quickly open my car door. "Miss Fiore," he nodded. Oh great, he knows who I am and he sees me leaving Rizzo's house in the morning. I hope word doesn't travel fast because now isn't the time for a blow out.