Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Lexi's friends had kept two seats beside them, so I definitely couldn't ignore her ex.

The ex I'd punch at my birthday party because I'd learn he was gay and had used Lexi as a beard without her knowing it.

This was a few days ago. And I still hadn't apologized.

Lexi and Daphnee were looking between us, like they were waiting for something dramatic to go down.

Lexi sat down first, so I was stuck on the seat closest to Alex.

Yeah, they definitely wanted us to talk.

"So?" I said as I sat down.

"So?" Alex replied.

"Should we do this now, or later?"

"What? Making out? Class about to start so maybe later," he answered.

I couldn't help it, I snorted because it sounded so much like something Josh would say, and it totally caught me off guard.

Also, I had assumed he'd throw a chair at me, not joke around with me.

I was ready for the chair.

Not so much for the jokes.

The teacher started the class at that moment, so we stopped talking.

Which was a problem, because now I was freaking out. What was I supposed to say after that whole fiasco had gone down?

Alex was one of Lexi's best friends. I couldn't have him pissed at me.

I was gonna spend time with him if I wanted to be Lexi.

And if I was completely honest, I did want us to be friends.

The class went by fast, too fast for me to come up with anything clever, especially since Lexi kept nudging my foot with her own under our desks now and then, with a cheeky grin while staring ahead and acting like nothing was happening.

I wanted to smack a quick kiss to her cheek.

But I also wanted to figure out what to do with Alex.

When the class was finally over, we all gathered our things, Alex and I taking our time.

Lexi linked her arms with Daphnee and said, while pulling her friend away, "we'll leave you boys together to talk things out."

I was grateful that my Pumpkin had figured out I didn't want an audience for this.

Part of me wanted to wait for a more appropriate moment to have this conversation, but I also knew I shouldn't be dragging this out. I needed to apologize.

Alex and I walked out of the class side by side.

I could think about fancy ways of apologizing and come up with ridiculous ways to make up for punching him, but in the end, what I needed to do was the simplest thing.

"I'm really sorry," I told Alex sincerely.

When I was younger and Lexi and Alex still hadn't dated, I'd wanted to be friends with Alex. He was in Lexi's crowd and he seemed nice and funny. And just like Lexi, he seemed to always be in a good mood too.

So, part of me had wanted to be his friend.

But then Alex dated Lexi, and any desires I had of being close to him went out in smoke.

When we played football together and got closer because of the team and our group of friends being the same, I'd found myself sometimes wishing things were different so I wouldn't resent him.