Chapter 72

Chapter 72

"No," Josh said, shaking his head after looking at the billboard I had been pointing.

"No? Just no? No other justification?"

"No is a complete sentence, Blake."

"It's funny, Dr Boseman basically told me this, this week."

"A wise man."

"You've been turning down every billboard we've seen for the last two hours."

"This is a process. You need to let me do my thing."

"Is your thing making us waste a whole evening?"

"You need to respect the artist. You need to let the artist feel for his canvas, be moved by his canvas, be inspired by his canvas."

"Be taken on a date by his canvas, be properly wined and dined by his canvas, be bedded by his canvas."

"You young folks have no respect for artists these days."

"This is not artistry. This is just you being a picky nuisance."

"Nuisance? Who you calling a nuisance? The guy who had to go buy spray cans because you forgot to check the ones in our bag and didn't realize we were all out of black? That guy?"

"The bag was in your apartment."

"But the bag is your responsibility."

"How? How is the bag my responsibility when it stays at your apartment?"

"You're unreliable, is what you are."

"I'm unreliable? Me? Who was two hours late today again?"

"Oh, I'm sorry? Are we supposed to hunt for billboards in broad daylight?"

"Yes! So we can see what we'll be dealing with around! So we can see clearly."

"We're seeing clearly right now."

"Clearly not because you're still not picking a billboard."

"Because the right one hasn't shown itself to me yet!"

"Jesus, are you two always like this," Lexi grumbled at the back of the car.

"Blake, handle your woman."

I gapped at my best friend, while Lexi was reaching forward, trying to slap the back of Josh's head. "You handle yourself."

"This is mutiny and I will have none of it in my car!" Josh shrieked, flailing his arms around to protect himself.

"It's my car," I reminded him.

"And thanks god for that. Imagine me driving a pimp-mobile?" Josh made a gagging sound. "The nightmare."

"My cat is not a pimp-mobile," I replied, glaring at him.

"So, you're dealing drugs, not whores?"

"I'm gonna punch you very soon."

"Oh yes, do it daddy, make my night," Josh replied automatically.

I was stopped at the right light now, so I stared at him, incredulous. "What the fuck? How the fuck would that make your night?"

"HURT ME DADDY!" he just yelled as a reply.