Chapter 24

Chapter 24

It was Friday night and I was sitting in the locket room, waiting for the signal telling us it was time to get on the field. We'd already done our stretching on the field before the game, and gone back inside, but now was the real deal.

I wasn't in my best shape if I was being a hundred percent honest.

I had a couple more sleepless nights that week before the game.

My painting was going well, and I was getting excited to give it to my Pumpkin.

I hoped she would be happy with the gift. I hoped I wasn't doing something completely silly and she would just tell me she loved it the way parents told their toddlers they loved their ugly drawings.

Practice went well, so coach decided to put me in my usual starting position and we'd agreed that I would stop playing if I started to feel bad at any moment, or if I got any serious hit to the head.

I was really happy to be starting, because I wanted to play well.

I had a girlfriend to impress now.

It was kind of ridiculous. This wasn't the first time Lexi Grayson was going to be at one of my football games.

But she'd never been here as my girlfriend.

That was entirely new.

At it warmed my heart in ways I hadn't anticipated.

My parents didn't come often to my football games. They had little interest in the sport. Josh tried to be there, but he was often busy, and I completely understood.

So, I was often without supporters when I played. The fact that Lexi was here for me now, to look at me play, really really made me happy.

I'd given her my letterman jacket that I never wore, so now, Lexi Grayson was probably sporting a jacket with my name on it.

I really wondered where this primal need I had to have Lexi strutting around with my name on her came from. Caveman thinking really.

But I was sure my Pumpkin was happy with the fashion choice. She always gladly stole any piece of clothing of mine. I was pretty sure I had only one hoodie left in my wardrobe right now because of her.

Finally, Coach told us it was time, and we all headed outside.

We had a little ritual before getting on the field, with our own song, and everyone in the bleachers were hyping us up.

We could probably win this game if we didn't screw it up, so everyone was full of energy and it could be felt through the crowd.

Once I was standing on the sidelines I looked around, trying to find my Pumpkin.

I spotted her quickly in the crowd, and blew her a kiss. She mimicked like she was catching it, and I pressed my hand to my heart in response, before getting my head back on the field.

There would be time for my girlfriend later.

Now I needed to focus on the game.

The game went by quickly. I was a hundred percent focused on the field. Everything else happening around was of very little importance at the moment.

I waved to my girlfriend at halftime before going back in the locker room, but that was the only moment I didn't focus solely on the game.

The other team's defense was really good, so we had a hard time making points, but Alex was having a good day, and his throws were accurate. He had enough passes that we got a touchdown. I managed to have a few gains by running, but I was often stopped quickly. Our offensive line wasn't able to hold off their defensive line for very long. Fred saved our ass with a field goal.