Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Safe to say, I showed up to school the next day sleep deprived.

It was for a good cause though. I'd made good progress on my birthday present. And by progress, I meant that I had an inkling of an idea what I wanted to do and sketched lines on a canvas.

But the really nice thing about all of this, was not only the fact that I knew what I wanted to give my girlfriend for her birthday present. It was that I was actually excited about creating something. I was looking forward to going back home after school and working on the painting. I hadn't felt like this in... gosh, I couldn't even remember the last time I had.

I was genuinely looking forward to making art.

Usually, Josh was the only one able to make me want to create anything artistic, and even then, it never was anything I'd planned, or anything of my own volition.

But this was different.

And I loved it.

I walked through the halls of school, exhausted, but cheery.

And my mood lifted up even more when I saw my girlfriend.

Lexi's phone had died in the middle of the night, so our call hadn't lasted until the morning.

I was happy to see her, hoping she was feeling a little better.

I walked up to her, kissing the top of her head. "Good morning."

She smiled back at me, a sweet smile. "Good morning."

"How are you?" I asked her, running a hand through her hair.

She kind of leaned into my touch. "I'm okay," she replied softly.

"You sure?" I pressed.

She didn't look particularly down, but if there a something I had learned in the last months, it was that Lexi was good at hiding her pain.

"Yeah. I mean, I'm still sad, but it's not like I can do anything about it. So, I'll focus on the nice things instead. Like the fact that my boyfriend has a beautiful chest," she said, and feigned like she was going to slip her hand under my shirt.

I narrowed my eyes at her, grabbing her hand. "It's always the chest."

"Always."

I slipped my hand in hers and dragged her along, making her chuckle.

I dropped her off in front of her class, and then headed to my own.

My hand still kinda tingled from holding Lexi's.

Having a girlfriend was proving to be quite the distraction.

Because instead of fighting off sleep during my history class, I was fighting off intrusive thought.

I tried not thinking about the other night and making out with her in my car... but I failed miserably at the task.

And then tried not to think about everything else I wanted to do with her.

The morning went by excruciatingly slowly. And I had no class with Lexi this morning, so it kinda sucked.

When it was finally lunch time, I waited for Lexi so we could grab our food together.

I was glad to see that even if she was a little sad today, she didn't lose her appetite.