Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Josh painstakingly ate his burger and then I drove him back to my house, and let him sleep in his room.

I almost had to carry him to his bed, he was so out of it.

Josh was a lot more useless than me when he was sleep-deprived.

After that, I kinda debated for a little while, and decided to call the cavalry, so that was how, I ended up a few hours later standing by the door to Josh's room peeking in.

"Maybe we should just let him sleep," I mumbled, with a bit of a guilty face. This had felt like a good idea before, but not seeing him still sound asleep, I was second guessing my idea.

"Yeah, you said he was tired. Maybe we should just let him sleep," Lexi agreed, a hand on my arm.

"Fuck. That. You didn't make us drive all the way here for nothing," Tyler replied from the back, and kind of just parted us, walking into the room and threw himself on top of Josh's sleeping figure.

My girlfriend and I just looked at each other, and shrugged, before joining the youngest Grayson in the human pile.

Josh let out mumbled whining sound. "Whyyyy am I being attaaaaacked?" he groaned.

"Emotional support smothering," Tyler simply explained.

"Mmhm," Josh just kind of replied, while we were just kind of piled up on top of him. And then, "This is kind of nice."

"It brings the same comfort that a straitjacket does," Tyler agreed.

"Are you insinuating I'm crazy?" Josh asked, clearly not surprised by the comment.

"You said it. I didn't," Tyler said.

"Did you call them?" Josh said, the question directed to me.

"I figured you'd enjoyed the company," I replied.

"I enjoyed sleeping," Josh pointed out.

"You can keep sleeping," Tyler replied, and kind of pushed Josh's face further into his pillow.

"Are you trying to kill me?" Josh whined, trying to slap him away, but failing miserably. "Is there an actual point to this rude awakening?"

"We're here to cheer you up," Lexi replied in a cheerful tone.

"Then let me sleep."

"Don't you want to go out? Potentially vandalize public property," I asked in a tone you'd use for a kid.

"I can't vandalize property anytime I feel down. I'd destroy the whole town," Josh said in a surprising show of maturity.

"What do you want to do then?" Lexi asked my best friend.

"What is it you do when you're down Blake? Sit in the cemetery?" Josh asked, "Maybe I should start doing that, but like the Mary Shelley version of hanging out at a cemetery."

"You want to be Frankenstein?" Lexi asked, a little confused.

"No, I want to lose my virginity on top of my mother's grave," Josh replied deadpan, and I kind of just blinked slowly, discouraged.

"I'm entirely confused," Tyler pointed out.

"Also, pretty sure the virginity boat has sailed for you," I added.

Josh gasped in faux horror. "Hearsays! Defamation of character!"

"So? What are we doing? I thought I was finally going to be taken to spray paint a billboard," Tyler said.