Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I was driving home, still thinking about my conversation with Josh.

After the little heart to heart, he'd kept on working on his art piece and I'd helped him. We chatted about nonsense, as he jumped on every opportunity to tease me or make a joke, the way he usually did. On the surface, everything had been fine. Everything was going as if life was normal and he hadn't said "maybe it was just my wishful thinking."

What had he meant by that? I hadn't had the heart to ask him. I hadn't even really thought about what it meant when he said it.

But the words had kept playing in my head afterwards.

Why would it be his wishful thinking? Why would he be wishing for Kendall and Jayden to not work out? Was it only because he didn't like Kendall because he thought she was a bad person. Or was it something else?

Because Josh was keeping something from me. Something that seemed to be hard for him to share.

Could he...?

No? Right?

It was probably Alex's fault. Now I was kinda second guessing everything.

But like... I knew Josh wasn't straight.

But Jayden had been like his brother? Right?

Everyone always said how much they looked alike. Josh couldn't be that self centered?

It felt like I was fishing for something that wasn't possible, just because I wasn't imaginative enough to figure out the Jayden secret.

My phone rang. I was almost home. It was Lexi. I answered it, putting it on speaker.

"Hey," I greeted my girlfriend.

"Hey," Lexi replied, her voice happy, "So, how was your talk with your parents?"

"It went really well actually. I feel like things are better now, and I'm an awful son a little bit less."

"You're not an awful son," Lexi replied immediately.

She was sweet. She didn't know. I'd totally been an awful son. "You're biased in your judgement of me," I pointed out.

"Someone has to."

I grinned alone in my car, driving on the dark roads. "Cute Pumpkin. Either way, it went well, and then I went to see Josh and we had a talk and everything is good too."

Part of me almost wanted to talk to her about Josh, tell her my suspicions. But I'd rather have something a little bit more substantial first. Something more than just a sentence that could mean many many things.

"That's great!"

"How about you? Fun evening?"

"I actually went over Alex's place, and Daphnee and Alex's boyfriend Travis, and Travis's friend Ashley came over. It was fun," she told me, her voice a little higher, like she was excited to share this with me.

It warmed my heart. Like it actually melted it.

Why was my Pumpkin so goddamn adorable?

"Ashley? The girl at the party? Cameron's latest crush?" I inquired, recognizing the name.

I was better with names than my girlfriend after all.

"Oh, you heard?"

I chuckled. "Of course I heard."

"Anyway! It was a lot of fun! I haven't talked to Travis that much, so it's nice to get to know him."