Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"Seriously, out, the both of you, I have no time for my wife and my side-piece," Josh said, still standing by the door, keeping it open with his hand, motioning for us to move along with the other.

"It's cute that you think that you're the main character, when I clearly am," Tyler said, letting himself fall on his couch.

Just to really drive that point in, Miss Puss decided to take that moment to jump on the couch right beside Tyler and walk around, trying to get his attention. Tyler was beaming over this, petting the cat.

Josh glared at him. "Do you have any proof of that?"

"It only gets interesting when I'm in the room," Tyler said, still grinning, while picking up Miss Puss properly, which just made Josh glare at him more, since his cat wasn't fighting him off.

"He makes a good point," I agreed, grinning at my best friend.

Josh scoffed. "Don't encourage the side piece."

I gapped, pressing a hand to my chest. "Wait, wait, I'm the wife?"

Josh rolled his eyes. "Of course, you're the wife."

I turned my attention back to Tyler, "Alright, Josh is the main character."

"No loyalty from either of you," Tyler said, pointing between the two of us.

"Well, am I the side piece or the wife?" I asked him.

Tyler grinned, like he was already proud of what he was about to say. "I'm more of a trouple kind of guy."

Josh snorted and went to let himself fall on the couch beside Tyler, trying to get his cat back. "Total cop out."

"Coward move," I agreed, sitting on the recliner.

"No, no, brilliant move, just brilliant, brilliant," Tyler disagreed.

"It's like when people put love triangles in their stories and just kill one of the options so the main character doesn't have to make an actual choice," Josh started to explain, getting into one of his random tangents.

"They still decided to kill someone, so there's a choice," Tyler pointed out, almost proud.

"The author made the choice! Not the character!" Josh snapped.

What were we really talking about here? Was Josh thinking about Jayden never having the chance to pick him, because he died? Or was I just reading into it, because now that I knew I was analyzing everything Josh said? Josh was known for saying random stuff. I shouldn't be assuming anything all the time.

"Same thing," Tyler said with a grin.

Josh glared at him and then turned to me. "Blake, drag him out of my apartment."

"Here, I'll give you back your cat, don't kick me out," Tyler said, handing him Miss Puss.

Josh gapped at him. "Giving me back? It was never yours to begin with!" he said, and snatched Miss Puss out of his hands. "Blake, get him out."

"So, what are the plans?" Tyler asked completely ignoring Josh's slight meltdown. That was usually the right way to deal with Josh.

"Yeah, what are we doing now?" I added, playing along, while Tyler and I just kept looking at Josh expectantly. To piss him off, really.

Annoying Josh was always a great way to distract him. And I didn't want him to have to think about sad things now. I wanted to cheer him up.

"What? You expect me to entertain you? I'm not the one in charge of entertaining when you two idiots just barge in here, saying nonsense," my best friend whined.