Chapter 61

Chapter 61

Coming back to this house always brought back bittersweet feelings, because it made me think of my brother and of what was, and of what could have been.

But this time, I was bringing my Pumpkin with me. And even if I still felt the absence of my brother, I knew I could make new happy memories with Lexi, and let myself heal.

I didn't have to always think about the bad. It was better to think of the good.

My aunt Andrea greeted us at the door, all smiles and hugs. "Welcome, welcome! You're right on time!" she announced.

My father had two younger brothers, Victor and George and one older brother, Damian. George had married Andrea.

Between the three uncles and their three spouses, I also had seven cousins.

Holidays were always a little hectic because of that, with the full house.

I was happy I would get to share this with Lexi. Another part of me. A happier one. Happy memories we'd create together.

We followed my aunt into the kitchen were many of my family members were already, sitting at the very large counter, or walking around with food to bring to the dinning room.

As soon as we walked into the kitchen, my grandmother's hawk eyes immediately spotted me, heading straight for me. "Oh Blake, my little boy is here. Come give your grandma a hug."

I complied instantly, a grin on my face, wrapping my arms around the short frame of my grandmother. She smelled faintly of her perfume and more of the food she'd been cooking. This was familiar, and comforting, being in her arms.

She smiled at me as she let go of me, and then her sharp eyes fell on my girlfriend.

She went for another hug, unsurprisingly.

Lexi looked a little surprise by the gesture, but quickly hugged her back, before my grandmother let her go, assessing her.

"Oh dear, you did not tell me she was so thin," Grandma said, looking at me pointedly. "Poor poor child, we'll feed you here. Why don't you feed her correctly Blake?"

I just knew she was going to say that. My grandmother was sadly predictable.

"He can't cook," Lexi pointed out, her voice teasing.

I couldn't exactly argue with that, so I gave a little shrug. "I made her soup once," I tried to defend myself in front of my grandmother.

"From a can," my girlfriend added.

That seemed to greatly displeased my grandmother. "Blake Eaton, we do not make soup from cans in this family!"

Josh would have probably said that I failed at even making something as basic as soup in a can. And I probably wouldn't even argue with him on it.

"Sorry grandma, I didn't get the cooking gene, only the good looks ones," I replied with a grin.

She grinned back, patting my cheek, while also shaking her head at me. "Young fool," she said affectionately.

My grandfather stepped away from the stove at that moment and came to greet us too.

He had the usual grin on his face, I was so used to seeing.

Sometimes I wondered why my father felt so distant or cold sometimes, when his own after had been so different. I'd mentioned this once during a visit with Dr Boseman, and he had pointed out that the way my grandfather acted with me had to be different than being raised by him.