Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I didn't have nightmares that night.

I slept soundly, probably giving Lexi more arguments to say we should always have sleepovers.

I wasn't delusional though. I knew Lexi wasn't going to be a sudden magic cure to my night terrors.

I knew they would probably still happen regardless of whether or not my girlfriend was beside me.

Still, it was a nice feeling to wake up to my Pumpkin kissing the top of my head and running a comforting hand through my hair.

"Good morning," Lexi said softly.

I still had a hand wrapped around her waist, so I held her a little more tightly, nuzzling my face against her arm.

This apparently made Lexi chuckle as I felt the fluttering touch of her kiss on top of my head again.

It was her time to wrap her arms around me too, keeping me close.

I felt warm and loved and comfortable, so I just let out a content sight and let myself doze off again.

Moments later, I woke up again, and stretched, trying to convince myself I actually needed to get out of my bed eventually.

"Good morning," I told my Pumpkin, smiling at her.

"You can go back to sleep you know, we don't have any plans today," Lexi told me softly, rubbing a comforting hand on my back.

"I actually have to go see my doctor at ten, so I should probably get out of bed and eat something," I admitted, my voice still heavy with sleep.

Lexi's eyes were darting on my face now, looking worried. "For your head?" she asked me in a small, almost scared voice.

Oh shit. What an idiot. I thought I had told her everything. Clearly, I hadn't.

"Oh, I guess there's something else I haven't told you," I said, backing away a little from her so I could get a good look at her face.

I knew Lexi wouldn't have a problem with this. She wanted me to be healthy and happy.

"For the love of god, please don't tell me you're gay and in love with Fred," she suddenly said.

I almost burst into laughter, but kept my cool, just for the comedic effect.

"Everyone loves Fred, how am I supposed to resist his charms," I replied with the most serious tone I could muster.

Lexi rolled her eyes at me. "I still can't believe I didn't even know you were BFF with Fred."

I snorted, pressing my lips together to keep from laughing out loud a little too much.

Chuckling a little, I kissed her shoulder. "Pumpkin, my love, my heart, my little dumb-dumb, you're so unobservant it hurts sometimes," I said, and hugged her tightly against me. If I kept this up, I was going to crack a rib, but I was just too full of love for this girl.

Hugging her like this, I felt like it wasn't enough. Like being so close to her, wasn't close enough yet. I just felt like there was no way I could show her how much I loved her, no way I could share it with her. I could never be close enough, or hold her tight enough. Like this couldn't even dim the need I felt for her. I would never have enough.

I was really done for when it came to my Pumpkin.

Lexi slapped my arm, bringing me back to reality. "Knock it out," she laughed, and I let go of my vice grip, "What were you trying to tell me?"