Chapter 7

Chapter 7

After dinner, I drove to Josh's apartment.

I hadn't really had a heart to heart with him either. The other night, Fred was there, and I'd never been able to really talk to him. At least, not about everything I wanted to.

Sure, I'd been curious about the whole Daphnee ordeal, but... well I really wanted him to be honest about what he was keeping from me regarding Jayden.

When I got to his apartment, he was in his studio, welding something.

The second he saw me, he said, "Oh, perfect, get in here. I need you to hold the other end of this," he ordered me, pointing to the other side of the metal beam he was working on.

I had no idea what he was working on, but I complied immediately. I was often his little helper. I actually liked it. It made me feel like a little brother again.

I kept my eyes away from the flame, looking around the room, trying to figure out what he was doing. He'd joked once that he was doing a dragon.

Maybe he really was.

Or maybe he wasn't actually doing anything, just wasting time and metal to keep busy and avoid answering my questions.

"So, is it time for you to fess up now?" I asked him.

"Yip, yip, yip," Josh yapped, pointing at me. "What do you think you're doing there, you hitchy scab?"

I snorted. What kind of insult was that? "What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing, it's what's wrong with you, and what's wrong with you is that you need to be holding this properly," Josh said, shaking the beam I apparently wasn't holding properly.

"No respect," I said, shaking my head, but tried to hang on to the beam more tightly.

"Keep complaining and I'll be calling Tyler here. I'm sure he'll gladly do what I tell him," Josh replied.

I snorted. "Tyler enjoys annoying everyone. He's definitely be a hitchy scab too."

"Tyler loves me. He would be a great little helper."

I snorted again. "Tyler loves me more."

"Call him," Josh said, taking his glasses off and putting down his welding equipment, and started to shake his finger at me. "Call him and ask him."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not calling him."

"Because you know he likes me better?"

I could keep on arguing with his about this, but I knew my best friend, and I knew exactly what he was trying to do here.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "No, because I know you've done everything you could so far to divert from what you know I want us to talk about. You've been trying to dodge it by distracting me."

Josh shrugged, crossing his arms over his chest too, mirroring me. "Can't blame me. You're easily distracted."

"Not that easily distracted."

"So, when are we getting on that plane?" he asked me, tilting his head.

"I'm not leaving, and you know it."

He sighed, but still smiled a little at me. "I know."

"And that means?" I pressed.

"That you're about to give your precious flower to Lexi Grayson," he replied with an evil grin.

Nope, wasn't going to fall into that trap. He was too easy to read.

"That means you need to fess up about Jayden," I reminded him.