Chapter 67

Chapter 67

"I could really get used to this whole rich boyfriend thing," Lexi said, looking through her shopping bag filled with books.

She'd gathered a ridiculous large pile while we were shopping and then asked me to tell which one I thought she should choose.

I'd told her quite simply that she didn't need to choose.

I was pretty sure this had awarded me a lot of good boyfriend points.

"Oh yeah?" I said, grinning as I drove us back to her house.

I'd dropped off all our friends, and now it was just me and her.

"Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love you regardless of the money. But this is definitely nice."

I grinned at the road in front of us. "I love that I just need to buy you books to make you happy."

"Just buy me books?" she replied, sounding almost offended. "There is no just buying books. It's books!"

"Yes, it is," I replied, still grinning.

Lexi narrowed her eyes at me. "Don't mock me."

I feigned being affronted. "I would never mock when my Pumpkin is being adorable."

She rolled her eyes at me, as we parked in front of her house.

We headed inside hand in hand.

"We're home!" Lexi announced as we took our shoes off in the entry.

"Kitchen!" her father yelled in answer.

We headed in the right direction, and Tyler was sitting at the counter while Michael was making dinner.

Lexi's father grinned at us. "Did you kids have fun?"

"Yes! Blake bought me a bunch of books," Lexi replied, still just as cheerful.

"It starts with books, and it ends with a house, be careful, son," her father told me, and then asked, "You staying for dinner?"

"Yeah, if it's okay with you," I replied, sitting at the counter between the two other Graysons. "My parents have gone to see some of my family in England and Anita is still off from work soooo..." I trailed a little sheepishly.

"So, he can't make anything to eat for himself," Lexi finished for me.

I gasped, like I was insulted. "Hey, I'll have you know I am excellent at ordering food."

This did not seem to impress anyone.

I snacked on crudities while the Graysons started to gossip about what had happened in the last few days, during their numerous Christmas dinners.

It was nice, this ease I felt, just sitting in the kitchen of my girlfriend's house, feeling somewhat at home.

"Next year you need to be there for our Christmas party," Michael suddenly said to me.

"Making plans for next year, isn't that dangerous?" Tyler said teasingly.

"What? You think we won't last that long?" Lexi said jokingly.

Most of the time, I was happy and good, but sometimes, like at this moment, I remembered all my issues.

Maybe I would be dead next year.

Maybe my being bipolar would take its toll on my girlfriend and she would break up with me. I wouldn't hold it against her. I would understand. Being loved by her still didn't quite make sense to me, so deep down, even if I didn't want to admit, I always had this nagging doubt that I wasn't enough for Lexi, and that she would realize it soon enough.