Chapter 64

Chapter 64

With my parents here, it finally felt like Christmas, even if the day had passed.

We exchanged gift which were mostly just cards with cash in them.

It was fine. Technically I was supposed to go to college next fall. I needed money. It was better than a present I wouldn't have a use for.

It was nice to have my family with me, and to share this with Lexi.

I was pretty sure that this was as good for her as it was for me.

She was always splitting herself in half for everyone around her. It wouldn't have been any different if she had gone with Christmas with her family. She would have been more focused on making everyone happy around her instead of being happy herself.

Here she was allowed to be selfish. Here she didn't have to think about everyone else's happiness. Nobody depended on her, aside from me, from time to time when I needed to be told how a kitchen functioned. And when I wanted to talk about my brother with her.

I wished my brother could have met her. I was sure he would have loved her. They would have gotten along.

My Pumpkin fit right in my family.

She was already instigating the hugs now. That was Eaton behaviour if I'd ever seen it.

I could see that my Pumpkin was happy here, and that was truly the best Christmas present she could give me.

One evening after coming back in the house after getting more firewood from outside, I caught a conversation between Lexi and my grandmother.

"My secret is switching part of the butter with cream cheese. That's what makes them so fluffy," grandma was telling my girlfriend, as they ate cookies sitting around the island.

"I'm already being given baking secrets? I feel very blessed," my Pumpkin replied.

"Of course, you're part of the family now," my grandmother replied easily.

"Thank you," Lexi told her.

I wasn't sure what my grandmother saw in her face at that moment, but she told her, "you're always welcome here, I hope you know this."

"Thank you very much. It really means a lot to me, more than you could know."

"I know it can be daunting to meet your boyfriend's family, so I hope we didn't scare you off too much," Grandma continued.

"I'll admit I was a little worried. But it was for nothing. You've all been really nice."

"I'm glad you're having a good time. And I'm glad you're making my grandson happy. For a while, it felt like we'd lost him too, a little bit, you know?"

It was always sad, to realize how much people around me had been affected by my issues. It been something I thought I was shouldering alone for so long, but I really wasn't.

I figured this was the time to stop eavesdropping, and walked into the room. "Talking about me?"

"Your girlfriend and I are having a moment," my grandmother replied with a smile.

"Is that so?" I chuckled, wrapping my arms around Lexi's shoulders.

"You'll bring her again soon, right?" Grandma asked.

I rolled my eyes a little. "We're not gone yet."

"I just missed you. I'd be happy to see you both again soon."