Chapter 42

Chapter 42

We won the away game, but got back home late.

I obviously didn't go to any party because Lexi wasn't going to be there and I was actually tired, so after a goodnight text to my girlfriend, went to sleep.

I fell asleep right away which was a miracle in itself.

I'd told Lexi to come around noon so she could sleep in as much as she wanted.

I knew she liked to oversleep in the morning.

I woke up around ten.

When I got to the kitchen to grab something to eat, my mother was there getting tea.

"Good morning," she told me softly, smiling tentatively. "How was the game?"

"It went well, we won," I replied, feeling kinda weird about the small talk.

It was strange to talk like this when we both knew what I had said before.

But if I actually wanted things to get back to normal, I was going to deal with it.

"That's good," she said, nodding, while just standing there, the cup of tea in her hand.

I thought about the fact that my parents barely ever came to my games. It had always kind of saddened me. I'd never said anything about it before. Maybe it was time for it to change. "It could be nice if you and Dad came to more of my games. It's my last year after all. I'm probably never going to play again after that."

Part of me knew that one of the reason why they never actually came to my games was because they didn't want to see me get hurt and they didn't like it when I was tackled.

I knew very well what everyone around me thought about my playing football with all of my head issues.

But they were my parents. Since they had failed to protect me before, the least they could do now was to support me at least.

"You're right," she replied.

This was a start, I guessed.

"You're doing Lexi's birthday today, right?"

"Yes."

"I hope you have a nice day together," she told me, sounding earnest.

"Thank you."

After that, she left and I stool alone in the kitchen. The whole interacting felt really off because we hadn't really been talking all week long, since my outburst during dinner.

I ate some cereals and then, I found myself wandering a little aimlessly around the house before Lexi came over, and ended up in the music room.

My father was gone for the day, so I knew no one would come here.

I was lost in thought, not sure what to do now.

My mother had talked with Fred and tried to arrange things for Jean.

Part of me felt like she was just doing it to get in my good graces again.

But that was a little stupid. She'd imply she would do it before. And she'd told Fred not to mention it to me.

So, I should stop putting bad intentions on her just because I was mad.

If I didn't want to be mad forever, I was going to have to learn to forgive my parents.

"You should have mentioned to me that I had to go on a hunting chase to find you," my girlfriend's voice said behind me, making me jump in my seat a little.