Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Lexi's birthday fell on a Friday.

Unfortunately for us, I had an away football game that night, and Lexi had plans with her family, so we'd agreed to celebrate it together on Saturday.

It was probably better that way anyway. We'd have the whole day together.

But it didn't stop me from spamming Lexi with happy birthday texts at midnight.

I sent her way too many messages to even count, spelling out the words one letter by text.

Ohmygod stop it you maniac, Lexi managed to reply between two frenzied texts.

I ignored her comment and asked, Am I the first one to tell you happy birthday? I better be the first one. I will riot if I'm not the first one.

You have soooo many issues, Lexi replied, not answering my question.

Pretty sure we've already established that. You didn't answer. I am worried now. I texted back.

Don't worry you maniac, you're the first one to wish me happy birthday.

YES!!! YESYESYES!!!!

You're making me rethink my decision of dating you.

I grinned alone, staring at my phone.

Why? You want to date me sooner now? I get it. Makes total sense.

You're slap-happy Blake. Have you had enough sleep? my Pumpkin asked.

Definitely not.

I'd been spending all my evenings and parts of my nights finishing my birthday present for Lexi. I was still sitting in my shack now, putting final touches. I hadn't really finished any paintings in years, so I had a hard time figuring out when I was satisfied with one of my pieces.

Because this needed to be perfect. It was Lexi's birthday present. It was a big deal. I couldn't mess this up.

Even if she wanted to make me believe that her birthday wasn't a big deal, not having her mother with her this year made it a big deal. I had to make up for it.

Go to sleep. We'll see each other tomorrow. Lexi wrote. I could almost hear her exasperated tone.

How can I got to sleep when it's my wonderful girlfriend's birthday? I NED TO CELEBRTE LL NIGTH LOONG!!!

Blakey-Boy. Re-read that last text. And then go to sleep.

I snorted. Yeah. I'd clearly pressed sent too quickly. I didn't learn my lesson and sent back, NEVER SLEEPBG EVER AGAINB!!!

Jesus. Wasn't it Clark that used to drunk text you? Was this how it felt?

I shook with laughter alone, throwing my head back, while spinning around my little stool.

I most definitely hope texting drunk-Clark does not feel like texting your wonderful sober boyfriend.

My STUBBORN boyfriend is sleep deprived. He needs to sleep.

I ignored that. It was not time to sleep. It was time to write to my girlfriend. YOUR STUBBORN BOYFRIEND LOOOVESSS YOOOUUUU!!

That's it. I'm not answering you again. Go to sleep, Lexi replied.