Chapter 1

Like most people who had finished high school I dreamt high.

Dreams were places I liked to escape to. It gave me a purpose, a goal, something to live for.

"10 complaints, " My boss began, "Just for this month we got 10 complaints."

I watched my boss arrange the pens between his many cup holders. He avoided my eyes, as he kept tapping the fingers of his left hand against the desk. The suspense killed me.

3 months ago my boss gave me my job as a tutor. Lately though everything was just becoming grim.

I was always tired.

Migraines became a common problem.

And I've been coming to work late.

My job was something I loved more than anything. Teaching was my passion, but a dreamer like me never really realised that passion wasn't enough to succeed. I was at risk of losing my job, and I was ready to put everything at stake.

I held my lesson plans closer. My boss had different tones of voices. At times he would speak very fast, but there were times when he liked to put stress on each word, and when he did I kind of learned to be afraid.

"All of those complaints were from you. Care to explain?"

Maybe because I never considered college. The lack of money just didn't allow me.

Let's just say my father was some useless good-for-nothing who used up all our family's money for his own selfish pleasures, gambling.

I just wasn't good enough.

I made up every excuse in my head, and every one of them lowered my confidence more than it already was.

I subtly sent him my best puppy dog eyes before I began my negotiations, but we've been through this before. There wasn't any chance he was going to let me off the hook. He's given me many chances.

"I don't wanna fire you, " said my boss.

"Fire me." I looked down at my hands trying not to choke on the lump in my throat.

"Minhye, I can't just let you go. What would your mother do if she found out I let you go so easily?"

"She's gone boss, fire me."

And just like that the room was silent.

My mom disappeared exactly three months ago, and exactly three months ago I was given this job. I wasn't doing too well on it, so the only idea on my mind was to move on. What else could I have done?

I was just burden, and I didn't get the job because I was good. I got the job because....

"Minhye you could keep the job." My boss stopped fiddling with his cup holders and stared straight at me.

"I don't need the job boss."

"What you need is experience. And that is why I'm keeping you."

I bobbed my head with my eyelids hiding the tears that was balancing off my eyelashes. It was just hard to face the reality that I couldn't do anything to get better at what I loved to do. Everyday I'd spend my free time inside every book I could get a hold of, but even if I knew more it didn't mean I'd be better off.

"You could keep the job you hear me." I failed to look at him in the eye before our talk ended, but he placed a paper on my lap before he left.

Large letters were printed on it, but right on the top, center of the whole jumble of words was a hexagon.