Chapter 21

(Minhye's POV)

The sun floated high above us, painting the perfect blue sky.

We were on our way to the forest near halmoni's house to find the first thing on our list, the lover's contract. I remember my halmoni telling me a story a few years ago about the time when harabeoji and her carved their initials on the the tallest tree on this mountain. I was sure that the lover's contract were their initials. We didn't even need a map to find it.

The path to the tallest tree was a never ending war with gravity. I walked about three yards away from Kris, and no matter how hard I tried to catch up to him he almost always somehow ended up three yards away from me.

My short, stubby legs struggled to cooperate with me on this uphill battle.

From behind I watched Kris march forward looking up, and even from afar I could still hear his words. "Minhye, you better know where were going. Wait, where are we going again? What are suppose to look for? Minhye, why aren't you answering me? Where's the map, we could get lost."

He then turned around, cluelessly searching for me. When he spotted me he stopped to check his watch.

"Hurry up woman!"He hollered.

Without thinking, I used up my last bit of strength to run to his side.

"Now which way are we suppose to go?" He asked me impatiently.

I put my hands on my knees, gasped for air, and pointed forward, "I told you already..." Breathes in. "That..." Breathes out. "That we just have to follow this path."

Kris rolled his eyes, prior to continuing his walk. I followed.

"I can't belive I'm paired up with you of all people." Kris mumbled under his breath.

"I heard that." I cocked my head to the side to catch the death glare he always gave out.

For a moment there was a different emotion that flashed through his eyes, but it didn't take long for him to replace it with his malice. "You were suppose to hear it."

"Well I'm flattered." I pushed and kept my gaze on him.

"Stop staring at me." He scowled.

"No, you stop." I argued.

"Why can't get enough of my good looks?"

My brows furrowed, "You wish."

Our constant spitfires between us continued back and forth, until I accidentally bumped into Kris's back. He stopped walking, frozen right on the spot. I took it as his surrender, but he shut me up quicker than I could yelp.

Turning my head, I spotted his stricken expression. His eyes were filled with anxiousness, targeting the animal before us.

The animal, on the other hand similarly waited in caution, anticipating our next move, with its tail raised and snout pointed to our direction.

A wild boar, an animal whom I've actually faced many times before, blocked our path. As long as you're not aggressive, it won't attack you, but before I could inform Kris he already had my wrist in his hands. He nudged me behind him. Is he trying to protect me? No, impossible. Besides the boar is harmle-

Without hesitation he pulled me ahead, charging forward like a crazy maniac. Instead of sensibly turning around to avoid trouble, Kris decided to headbutt it instead.

"Kris! Are you crazy! You're gonna get us kille-"

"Shut it! We're going to get that lover's contract, even if I die!"