chapter 6**

PETRA'S POV:

        So when I left the conveneince store I left to meet my buddy lucas he is a Uber driver.

    So get this....we were talking about everything and nothing at the same time then he got a call from some lady to come pick her from Vanessa's convenient store.i looked at the time and I just thought maybe it's Vanessa

   Lo and behold it was Vanessa.

   Which takes us back to the present. now vanessa and her daughter Dami are sitting in the back seat of the uber. with Vanessa having a pissy face on.

   I wonder who pooped in her cereal.

     "So Petra how did you become an Uber driver?" Dami asked

    "Don't call her by her name she's way older than you!" Vanessa whisper yelled at the kid

    "But she said I can call her that"

     "Just because she said it doesn't mean you should actually do it."

   "It's okay she can call me Petra."

  "No it's not,where we're from it's considered very rude,I don't want her getting used to calling her elders by their name."

     "Where are you from."
     "Nigeria." Dami said grinning

      "Ooouuu lagos....i heard its pretty cool there." I said remembering my professor back in college. I used to crush on that woman also does this mean I have a thing for Nigerians?

    "It's lay-gus not lay-ghos and its an okay place I guess." Dami said again that child is pretty smart for her age.

       "Dami what did I say about speaking when elders are talking?."

     "To only talk when spoken to and not butting into the conversation like a hag." I burst out laughing she said it like it was a normal thing to say. Now I'm questioning Vanessa's parenting.

   "When did I sa- where did you get that from?."

   "Oops I guess I gave you Maurice's version" she said. Maurice again,who the fuck says that to a child.

     "He said that to you? When?" she asked

     "Yep,when he came home one day smelling burnt. he smelled like he was around smoke all day. it was nasty but don't worry he didn't touch me"she said making me look at them through the mirror and saw Vanessa staring at me. Now is my chance to ask who that son of a bitch is

     "Dami who's Maurice?"

       "My dad"

     "None of your business" Vanessa rushed out but it was too late, sooooo he's the husband.we're getting somewhere.

    Since the mother doesn't want to talk to me I will just ask the child all I need to know.

   "So Vanessa where's your car."

      "At the mechanic"

  "I could have repaired it you know."

   " You're also a mechanic?cooollll" dami said

   "No baby I'm not, I would have took it to the mechanic shop."

    "It would have been cool if you were a mechanic"she said with a sad face.

   "If it makes you feel better I can change tyres"

    "Coolll!" her face lit up and it warmed my heart.

   "So Dami since your mom doesn't want to be my friend would you be mine?."

    "My mom is not allowed to have friends but you can be my friend" she said grinning making vanessa's eyes bulged out of its socket as Dami said that

    "Don't mind her and I would like some peace and quiet and no talking" I kept quiet not because she said she wanted it but because I was thinking.

     What is Maurice doing to you Vanessa? Does he even know she works? Because this kind of people would want to be in control of the money in the house.

   I have to protect them, from whatever that monster is doing to them.

  Well I now know her house and I also have her number. i will be watching them

   I just have to be alone with Dami,to get to know what is really happening in the house since Vanessa won't talk

    It didn't take long for us to get there.

   She took her stuff and carried Dami out of the car.

   "Bye friend." Dami said smiling and waving

    "Bye love and bye Vanessa" I waved back and smiled.

   I waited and saw that Vanessa was checking to see if someone was inside then I texted her.

ME:
do you want me to go in with you?

She checked her phone and turned back typing on her phone

  VANESSA😩
NO! And do not text this number or I'll block you.
                                                 ME
                            You don't have to be so harsh on me mama goodnight sweet dreams😘

VANESSA😩
  🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕

       She got into the house.i guess Maurice wasn't there. i dialed Maddy's number and she picked after the second ring.

      "I found the girl I told you I met today."

     "Stalker much?"

    "Shut up,I saw her at the convenience store and I think she's being abused by her husband,can you imagine she's not allowed friends."

   "What the hell."

    "I know right and the little information I got,was from her daughter she wouldn't say shit to me".

    "The husband definitely is doing something to her and threatening her with something so she wouldn't say anything what are we going to do now?" she asked getting genuinely concerned.

   "First of all i want to know what happens in the house since she wouldn't tell me. I will have to get the child alone so she can tell me."

   "How do we get the child without the mother knowing?"she asked

   "School"

    "Do you know the name of her school?"

    "I met Vanessa near a school this morning so I'm guessing that her school."

   "Tomorrow we will both go there how does that sound?."

    "Perfect! thanks bestie."

Bb"Anything for you babe,now go away I need my beauty sleep."

    "It's 9pm" I said

    "And?...now byeee." She ended the call.

    Maddy is addicted to sleep I swear