chapter 13

Vanessa' pov:

          A week has passed and I'm still in the hospital. I'm getting sick and tired of this place.

    Petra has been by my side ever since. Im so grateful for that,but I feel so bad because she has to sleep in that uncomfortable couch,when she should be sleeping comfortably in her bed.

   She told me I shouldn't worry about her that she's fine. Sometimes in the night I find her groaning in her sleep. When I ask her to go home and take a rest she'd tell me it's fine and that she groans in her own bed anyways.

       I met her mother the other day, she's very sweet and nice. She even hugged me, making me cry because I haven't had any form of motherly affection in years,She was so warm and funny,she even insisted I call her pam which was weird for me at first because I'm not used to calling older people by their names.

     "Vanessa open up" I was brought back to reality by a stressed out Petra who was trying to feed me.

    I told her I can do it myself but she wouldn't let me. She has been feeding me since I woke up,making Dami jealous because apparently,I was stealing her friend.

     "No. I can feed myself,give me the spoon please" I pleaded and even pouted.

   She glared at me making me open my roll my eyes and open my mouth anyways.

    "Stop rolling your eyes at me mama. " She said feeding me the home made mac n cheese  her mom brought.

     I've never been a fan of Mac n cheese but I must say, this one tastes really good.

     I rolled my eyes again making her hit my thighs.

  "Ouch! What did you do that for?!"I semi-yelled.

    "I told you to stop rolling your eyes at me didn't I?"  She said making me roll my eyes again

    "Vanessa" she said in a warning tone.

    "Fine! Jeez...I'll try to not roll my eyes at you" I said holding back the urge to roll my eyes at her.

    "Good girl." she said patting my head, making me swat her hand away from my head. She chuckled and continue feeding me.

    "Can I ask you a question?"

    "You already have" I replied.

    "Mchht girl- stop playing with me"

     "Ask away" I said Chuckling.

      "Why didn't you go to the police or anyone when it all started." I suck in my bottom lip and looked at the door in thought.

    "It's fine if you don't want to talk about it. We can just go back to feeding you."

    "No it's fine.....Well, at the time the beating started, I told my family members in Nigeria about it. They talked to him, he lied to them that I pushed him into doing it.that I was frolicking around with men and of course They'd believe the bastard over me. Even my father said he handled it well,that after this beating I won't do it again. After that call, he beat me almost to the point where I passed out. even after that beating,he sent me to the store down the street and I was hit by a car and rushed to the hospital. When he got there he told me that he was just getting started with me. that if I ever tried telling anybody or try running away he will kill me with his bare hands. So,I guess I was scared that's why I never told anyone." I said watching her shake angrily.

    "What kind of fucked up person is that?! Oh, I'm so gonna have so much fun with him" She said smiling maniacally.

    "Once I find that bastard,I'm going to make him pay for all what he did to you Vanessa. You didn't deserve all what he did to you. You suffered in pain silently for years,all in the name of being fucking married?! And your family couldn't even care less about what you're going through. I promise you this Vanessa, I'm going to make him feel every pain you felt and shed every tears you shed during the time you were staying with him. She said with so much fire in her eyes.

     I felt her hands wiping the tears from my cheeks,I didn't even know I was crying.

     " I had never had anyone who wanted to fight for me or even stick by my side before. Thank you so much Petra."

      "Don't even mention. I would fight with every single person in this Earth,if they hurt you or even look at you the wrong way. Just know I'm here for you if you need me, I really do care for you Vanessa. I'm going to show you what it actually feels like being with somebody,I promise you that."

    I could only nod my head to all that she said.

     She stood up and removed the used dishes from my front.

    "I'm going outside to make a call, okay?"

    "Okay"I said weakly.

    With that she left.